General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 02:56 PM
Springer113
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signals

Can anyone help me with my rear turn signal project? I am trying to eliminate the rear turn signals and replace with addressable led strips. I need to know how to keep the front turn signals blinking but the rear I need to have constant power to trigger my light strips. Does anyone know how to or where I would splice in to get constant power when the turn signal is on to the rear?

Old 07-18-2022, 03:35 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,375 Likes on 2,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Springer113
Can anyone help me with my rear turn signal project? I am trying to eliminate the rear turn signals and replace with addressable led strips. I need to know how to keep the front turn signals blinking but the rear I need to have constant power to trigger my light strips. Does anyone know how to or where I would splice in to get constant power when the turn signal is on to the rear?
Welcome to HDForums.

On a Sportster? Pan America? Street Glide? Year - 1987? 2003? 2020?

Old 07-18-2022, 03:46 PM
Springer113
4th Gear

The bike I am doing this to is a 2012 flhtcuse7 CVO Electra glide. I am going to put the lights into the parts that separate the fender from the saddle bag.

Old 07-18-2022, 06:59 PM
snowplow1
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe look at Ciro3d and their Filler Panel Lights with turn signals?

Old 07-18-2022, 08:08 PM
Springer113
4th Gear

Originally Posted by snowplow1
Maybe look at Ciro3d and their Filler Panel Lights with turn signals?
I have the lights and have them programmed I just need to know where to take the power from to get constant power to the rear when the turn signal is on. Is it possible to take the power just before it enters the fuse block?

Old 07-18-2022, 09:49 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,620 Likes on 2,094 Posts

So is the "constant power" for a memory circuit ? If you have constant power how would they know to flash ? Wouldn't they need to be connected to the turn circuit to flash ? Your description isn't making enough sense without more explanation of how the programmable light module works. This is like asking what kind of car you have and answering "a red 4 door".

Old 07-18-2022, 10:04 PM
Springer113
4th Gear

Sorry about how I have started this whole thing. I know this is complicated but to make it all easier I have a control box which is programmed. It has inputs which will make my light strip glow dim red like running lights. The controller also has what are called triggers. When you introduce power to the trigger it produces another effect as long as the power is there. Once the power stops it goes back to the original state (dim red) I can use the power from the turn signal to power the trigger but it will continuously turn the trigger on and off. This is why I need the turn signal to be constant until the turn signal is shut off. I hope this has turned the red door into an electric orange 2012 flhtcuse7 Electra glide ultra classic with a 110 screaming eagle engine and a 6 speed transmission with 30000 miles and brand new tires

Old 07-18-2022, 10:21 PM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 863 Likes on 511 Posts

HD has an aux power plug that will supply switched and battery power. It's plug and play. Check HDs web site under parts for you year and model.

Old 07-18-2022, 10:41 PM
Springer113
4th Gear

I will need switched power and power when the turn signals is activated instead of the pulse you get which makes the stock blinker flash. When you push the button for the turn signal it sends power to the bulb. The bulb lights up then turns off then back on again. It continues to do this as long as the turn signal is active. I need to supply my controller with steady power for the light strip to stream or strobe or chase or whatever effect I choose it to do until the blinker shuts off. I only need constant power when the blinker is active.

Old 07-19-2022, 12:19 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,620 Likes on 2,094 Posts

Makes more sense now - my suggestion would be to tap off the wire that returns from the "turn hand control" button. There should be a live "feed" to the button that is always hot and a "return" that will only be constant when the switch or turn button is activated. This activated circuit goes to the HD (or aftermarket) electronic module that converts the activated turn circuit to pulses and sends it to the turn signals. You would be getting the power for the rear lights before it goes to the module. This is based on my experience with bikes older than yours but the principle should be the same for the turn circuits.

Anyone more familiar with late model wiring - does this hold true?

Last edited by rizzo; 07-19-2022 at 12:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Turn signals