General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 04:30 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dealer Pricing

Two dealers in my area had "Market Value" pricing, which was MSRP & Shipping & Set-Up & and an extra $500-$600. One of those dealers would also install accessories before putting the bike on the showroom floor.

Well, times have changed. The dealer who added accessories stopped doing that. Both are selling 08 bikesat MSRP & Shipping, and one is waiving set-up fees for the next several months.

Hope the trend continues.

Sammi

Old 11-25-2007, 05:14 PM
IndyRider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dealer Pricing

Sounds like they are still selling at "Market Value".

It is just that they have seen the "Market" change and if they want to continue to sell their product they must adjust their value.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Rockrat
Cruiser

My local dealer sells for MSRP + $189 setup fee. Stopped in a few other dealers on my business trips lately and many were 10% over MSRP. You never know about what the market will do, especially if the economy starts tanking. Maybe a dealer will settle for 5% over dealer cost instead of the 20% it is now (new 105th anniversary Heritage for $17K instead of20K?). Just never know what things will do.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Got price from 1 dealer(MSRP& shipping $20% off accessories within 1 month of puchase).

Told me if another dealer matched the price to come back and he'd re-price the bike "to get the sale."

That sort of thing was unheard of from this dealer a few months ago - back then it was MSRP plus plus plus and "take-it-or-leave-it".

Sammi

Old 11-25-2007, 09:32 PM
AZdryheat
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

It's prime riding weather in southern AZ, which is probably why Tucson HD is charging $1500over MSRP on 08's. It's a seller's market in Tucson. Gotta waitfor colder weatherfor a better deal, I guess.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:29 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can get 2500 off on 07 and 1200 off on o8, with now added grap, but its cold here

Old 11-26-2007, 07:45 AM
06dynablack
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Sammi

Got price from 1 dealer(MSRP& shipping $20% off accessories within 1 month of puchase).

Told me if another dealer matched the price to come back and he'd re-price the bike "to get the sale."

That sort of thing was unheard of from this dealer a few months ago - back then it was MSRP plus plus plus and "take-it-or-leave-it".

Sammi
screw playing that game I would have told him give me your best price now then we shall see if I will be back to buy the bike

Old 11-27-2007, 07:19 AM
Mark Rodgers
2nd Gear

So What's most important?

* Best (lowest) Price?
* Best customer service?
* Best and most knowledgable people?
* Best "fit" i.e. you're comfortable with dealer?

I paid MSPR plus freight and set up on my V-Rod. Don't mind doing it. And at the same time I expect my dealer to know my name, return calls, deliver what they promised and treat me like a rock star when I'm at the store. For that ... I'll pay full price all the time. You?

Old 11-27-2007, 08:26 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mark Rodgers

I paid MSPR plus freight and set up on my V-Rod. Don't mind doing it. And at the same time I expect my dealer to know my name, return calls, deliver what they promised and treat me like a rock star when I'm at the store. For that ... I'll pay full price all the time. You?
Unfortunately. in my experience there is little correlation between paying more and getting better service. My sales person forgot my name andphone number the momentI signed on the dotted line.Iffull price is the price they first throw out at you then no I didn't pay that. I"m not that stupid. But I did pay MSRPplus over $1000 in BScharges. Not a bad days pay for the dealer.

I think you may get the Royal Crown treatment if you're a consistent repeat buyer from the same place who trades up every few years and gets allservice done by the dealer. Sure, they're going to take care of a CASH COW. ButI don't think many buyers fit into that category.

So this dealer made his buck or me but he's not likely to get another dime. A simple return phone call and some consideration for the inconvenience they caused me which I won't go into would've made all the difference.