General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD - Cafe Racer

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:02 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HD - Cafe Racer

i wonder what the deal on this? Why offer this American bike there and not here? I would consider buying one over the vRod I am thinking about. Do you know the reasoning behind this?

ORIGINAL: Idiot

Spring of 08 Europe, Mid-East and Africa only

Old 01-02-2008, 10:04 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The XR1200...........

Old 01-02-2008, 10:59 PM
connsmith
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those bikes are sweet....

Old 01-02-2008, 11:01 PM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the Sportster was americas answer to the british invasion and the cafe racer trend. The predecessor to the sportster was the Model K motorcycle. which was the first harley with the most modern features, also the fastest. It was 883cc, considered to be equal to the majority of brit bikes, most of which were 650cc. shame really that nowadays its considered a small and entry level harley. but once it ruled the streets and was a good competitor to the brits.

that being said, I think the basic design of the sportster is very cafe racer like in itself, seeing as it was designed to directly compete.

here is mine, I'm in the process of making it look like an older model sportster, adding fork gaiters, hiding the crossover pipe in the exhuast by painting it dark. maybe getting some kind of aftermarket air cleaner that is a simple circle shape, a springer seat, maybe some kind of covers for the rear suspension.

see the low bars, low seat, and mid controls. actually the bike is stock from 1988, but the resemblence to its 1960s original is awesome. I guess when people think of the cafe racer era they see that short bobbed rear fender, rather than this that slopes down all the way back. But I pretty much have the bike of my dreams, only a few more modifications and its complete

i think the sportster line took a turn for the worse in the late 90s and 2000s, expecially the "custom" and the "nightster" worst looking sportsters to me.

mine is a 1988 so its all good =D

sry for the long post haha

Old 01-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Kevinc
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice thread. Thanks for all of the info.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:21 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Butwe aren't done yet, Kevin.
Ilike pointing out Harley's missed opportunities.....
I was one of those guys that drooled over them when they were sitting on the showroom floor with cakepans under them to catch the oil.
If I had been Willie G....there would havebeen no need for any Buell

Old 01-03-2008, 12:45 AM
PhantomMaxx
Tourer

I think thats the direction my friend is going

Old 01-03-2008, 06:21 AM
Beth in Tampa
Advanced

ORIGINAL: JosephGarcia

"the Sportster was americas answer to the british invasion and the cafe racer trend.... The predecessor ...was 883cc...
that being said, I think the basic design of the sportster is very cafe racer like in itself, seeing as it was designed to directly compete."

"here is mine, I'm in the process of making it look like an older model sportster, adding fork gaiters... hiding the crossover pipe in the exhuast by painting it dark..."

"see the low bars, low seat, and mid controls. actually the bike is stock from 1988, but the resemblence to its 1960s original is awesome. I guess when people think of the cafe racer era they see that short bobbed rear fender, rather than this that slopes down all the way back. But I pretty much have the bike of my dreams, only a few more modifications and its complete."

i think the sportster line took a turn for the worse in the late 90s and 2000s, expecially the "custom" and the "nightster" worst looking sportsters to me.
I am a bit confused by your post... in my mind, your description of the bike of your dreams is the description of a Nightster, albeit a fuel-injected, non-oil dripping version. I love the cafe racers and the idea of owning an older bike, but don't have the time or know-how to restore or maintain... I think the Nightster is the retro bike of the millenium, but I am partial to it- I ride one. It was THE ONE for me- what I was waiting for all those years I rode European bikes

Old 01-03-2008, 08:58 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 616 Likes on 385 Posts

ORIGINAL: schumacher

Butwe aren't done yet, Kevin.
Ilike pointing out Harley's missed opportunities.....
I was one of those guys that drooled over them when they were sitting on the showroom floor with cakepans under them to catch the oil.
If I had been Willie G....there would havebeen no need for any Buell
Good point. Today, I have to believe Willie G. and Eric Buell wish they went their own route.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:48 AM
JosephGarcia
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Beth in Tampa

ORIGINAL: JosephGarcia

"the Sportster was americas answer to the british invasion and the cafe racer trend.... The predecessor ...was 883cc...
that being said, I think the basic design of the sportster is very cafe racer like in itself, seeing as it was designed to directly compete."

"here is mine, I'm in the process of making it look like an older model sportster, adding fork gaiters... hiding the crossover pipe in the exhuast by painting it dark..."

"see the low bars, low seat, and mid controls. actually the bike is stock from 1988, but the resemblence to its 1960s original is awesome. I guess when people think of the cafe racer era they see that short bobbed rear fender, rather than this that slopes down all the way back. But I pretty much have the bike of my dreams, only a few more modifications and its complete."

I am a bit confused by your post... in my mind, your description of the bike of your dreams is the description of a Nightster, albeit a fuel-injected, non-oil dripping version. I love the cafe racers and the idea of owning an older bike, but don't have the time or know-how to restore or maintain... I think the Nightster is the retro bike of the millenium, but I am partial to it- I ride one. It was THE ONE for me- what I was waiting for all those years I rode European bikes
standard sportsters had fork gaiters, mid controls, and all that stuff before the nightster came out. i just think that most sportsters pre-1991 look best to me, and im glad to own an older sporty. the nightster comes off as more of a chopper thing to me. I dont see anything old school about it, i think that's more do to with the way a rider looks on it. more chopper-ish to me that a standard sportster, which just looks sportier.

its great that the nighster is for you, but it aint for everyone, thats why there are different versions of the sportster

Quick Reply: HD - Cafe Racer