General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACC Helmets,,,eehhh.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:06 AM
DMSC
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ACC Helmets,,,eehhh.

That's why I spent all that money on CHROME...so people will stare at my scoot and not my mushroom head helmet!

Old 05-13-2008, 10:26 AM
GridlockSG
Tourer

It also depends on the size the xl is a inch larger thana large. I just bought a large last week and the 2 side by side and trying them on it's a big difference in size.the xl is as big as my other helmet. The large is a inch in width and a inch in length smaller than my other. What little i've warn it im pleased with it.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:47 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 498 Likes on 234 Posts

I found this comment from their website to be interesting..."We are currently shipping this item within 1-2 business days". As I posted in another thread, I cancelled my order with them after waiting 10 weeks and started seeing all the comments about poor quality. It appears they now have a reduced order volume if they are shipping them in one day. They also have them on sale. My guess is their business has declined substantially due to the quality problems I've read about on this site. Of course, they may have increased production capacity

Old 05-13-2008, 11:00 AM
JoeWV
Advanced

Edw: Its the FX-70.

gs34doc: GREAT POINT!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:18 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gs34doc

You guys kill me with your vanity issues.[sm=dontgetit.gif]
Do you really think folks are pointing at your heads and snickering behind your backs becauseYOU think your safety helmet makes you a mushroom head?
It's a helmet for gosh sakes, not a fashon statement. Buy whatever is necessary to protect your head and satisfy the law and fergetaboutit!

For gosh sakes???

Easy there, Trigger...

Heck, you'll be goin' postal on us any time...[sm=laughingsmilie.gif]

Old 05-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

If a ACC helmet is to big for your head then no helmet will work for you. I mean how could it be any smaller? Maybe a Carbon Fiber baseball cap.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:47 AM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

I've got one of those helmets, and the only thing it's got over a "regular" helmet is the light weight. The strap system is crap. I feel like I'm putting on a bicycle helmet.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:16 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only way to lose the mushroom head is to hit the gym and bulk up those shoulders. It's all relative.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:46 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: JoeWV

I took the advice of so many HD Forum members and purchased one of the DOT Carbon Fiber helmets by ACC. I was pretty pumped to get "the worlds smallest DOT helmet". Well, after getting it in and putting it on my head, I can now say it isNOT the worlds smallest DOT helmet. Its the same exact size and weight as my AFX DOT, and the lack of padding makes it even more uncomfortable than the AFX. I'm not sure what the craze is withthe ACC helmet, but I'm not convinced. Its no different than any other DOT approvedhelmet I've seen,,,except its $185. I guess I'll just have to deal with the "mushroom".

Anbody got any other suggetions for smallDOT approved helemts? Novelty helmets aren't really an option in my area right now. This time of year the cops start cracking down on the helmet laws. Guys I knowhave been pulled over just for helmet checks. Not sure if thats legal or not, but its happening.
Joe, don't want to rub any salt into your wound but I agree with your findings and have posted it in several ACC helmet threads in the past. As with any other helmet, the ACC's are going to fit some heads better than others. I learned a while backthat the only way to find a helmet you'll like and that fits is to go out and look at them and try them on. Ordering online is potluck as to whether or not it will fit right and/or look like what you expected. I've also learned that some of the 'shroom helmets are not that bad if you get the right one for your head. I've ended up with a Fulmer Hombre half helmet that only cost me $50 and I couldn't be happier with it. It's no smaller than most DOT half helmets but, because of the fitment, I can live with it. I went into a store that sold Fulmer and Skid Lid half helmets and I took my riding glasses with me. I tried on every model and the hombre is the one that I ended up with. Funny thing is, they all looked just alike on the outside and the same size in every model fit my head but, because of the shaping of the internal part of the helmet, the differences between the models were night and day when looking in the mirror. I also found they didn't look quite so bad when you try them on with your glasses. Not sure why that is, but it helps.

As far as the ACC's, for me, I was extremely disappointed. I was convinced by this forum and by their website that they were the answer for me. But I also knew better than to order one online without trying them on (don't ask me how). The Myrtle Beach fall rally was coming up so I called ACC and asked if they would be there. They told me no but their biggest dealer, Iron Braid, would be and confirmed that they would have ACC helmets on display for trying on. I contacted Iron Braid and found out exactly where they would be. I went to the rally and went to the Iron Braid "booth" with money in pocket and started trying on the helmets. None of them fit or looked right for me - especially for $180+. I had a friend with me looking for the same thing for the same reasons and he was disappointed as well. Both of us walked away empty handed.

My friend wasn't happy with the Fulmer either. He bought one anyway but immediately sold it to a friend. He has since found a new model (don't know the name) put out by HCI that is a DOT half helmet. I must admit it appears to be smaller than what I have and really fits him well.

With all that said, I have to agree that most of us put too much emphasis on how the helmet looks on us. And we are our own worst critics. I see people try on helmets that, to me, look perfectly fine on them, but they feel like they look ridiculous and won't buy them. On the other hand, I've tried some on in front of