General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experienced rider course

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 07:11 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Experienced rider course

ORIGINAL: walkerinin

For me, slow u-turns were still a bit of a problem. I could do them but they didn't feel comfortable.

Only one rider hit the asphalt. We were doing weaves and she just let her BMW get out from under her. No biggie. No Damage. No injury.
Makes me feel abit better, I thought it was a common thing and I'm somewhat protective of my new toy. Don't know if you have it yet but the Ride Like A Pro DVD is a way to learn new skills and practice on your own.I can't believe the difference it's made in mynewbie rider skills with only a few practice sessions.Yes, it covers Uturns in detail. Best money I've spent on my bike so far.

Hope you enjoy your cross country road trip. Sounds like you got it planned out pretty well. That's something the wife and I want to do someday before we get too damn old.One thing for sure, if I do it on my Heritage I'll definitely have to invest in a backrest seat. Be much nicer on an Ultra.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:28 AM
Bossman1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool but for me I probably wouldn't pass because of my leg!!!!!!!!!!

BOSSMAN

Old 06-01-2008, 07:43 AM
harleydude68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jimmers1817

ORIGINAL: walkerinin

For me, slow u-turns were still a bit of a problem. I could do them but they didn't feel comfortable.

Only one rider hit the asphalt. We were doing weaves and she just let her BMW get out from under her. No biggie. No Damage. No injury.
Makes me feel abit better, I thought it was a common thing and I'm somewhat protective of my new toy. Don't know if you have it yet but the Ride Like A Pro DVD is a way to learn new skills and practice on your own.I can't believe the difference it's made in mynewbie rider skills with only a few practice sessions.Yes, it covers Uturns in detail. Best money I've spent on my bike so far.

Hope you enjoy your cross country road trip. Sounds like you got it planned out pretty well. That's something the wife and I want to do someday before we get too damn old.One thing for sure, if I do it on my Heritage I'll definitely have to invest in a backrest seat. Be much nicer on an Ultra.

I couldn't agree with you more about the Ride Like A Pro DVD. Very inforamtive and it does help improve your skills and it will find weaknesses in your riding. Best money I ever spent for sure.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:06 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Ride Like a Pro also. I'd say that's the one thing that caused the biggest improvement in my riding skills. Where the MSF course you practice the drills, the RLAP dvd shows you in more detail how to do it.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:08 AM
petdoc94
Outstanding HDF Member

Took the class myself and its a great thing to do....Like you said you meet new peeps and it helps you hone some skills...
I think most would enjoy it!!

Old 06-01-2008, 08:10 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: STEG

I have to say im a bit nervous but i haven't had a lot of time on the new bike after trading the Sportster. i take mine on the 20th or the 6th or june what did it entail?
You practice weaving inbetween cones with 2 hands, then one. Weaving slow between off set cones. Slow as possible in a straight line, Figure 8 within a confined box. Emergency stopping. Emergency lane change. 90 degree turns and slow S turns. Once you get the hang of using the friction zone it's all easy.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:10 AM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: barjbar

I take it every year. It's fun, great practice, and you meet new people.
I do too. I really enjoy it.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:19 AM
so165
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took it last week also and yes I learned an few things as well. I also learned that I forgot 90% of the stuf I was told in the basic course over 25 years ago, and that I was taking curves and turns all wrong. It was me and one other guy going thru it and we were both doing pretty good thru the whole thing, actually he was doing better then me on some of it. When we got to the end we did thetest we both wentthru the first two courses and then it was on to the quickstop, the other dude went first and I lined up to go and watched as he got downrange, hit his breaks anddown he went, I could not believe it, dud was ok ,bike was beat up a bit(not a Harley,thankGod) but still rideable, he failed at that point,I guess he could come back in 24 hours to retake it. I felt bad for him because he really needed the course cause he works on the base and needs the decal, I just kinda wanted to get the decal, hell I havent even put it on my bike yet. Anyways Ipassed the whole thing with a 100% on the written and feel good about taking it over all. I was wondering how I stayed upright all these years after learning that I was doing alot of stuff wrong.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:47 AM
UncleDon
Banned

ORIGINAL: so165

I took it last week also and yes I learned an few things as well. I also learned that I forgot 90% of the stuf I was told in the basic course over 25 years ago, and that I was taking curves and turns all wrong. It was me and one other guy going thru it and we were both doing pretty good thru the whole thing, actually he was doing better then me on some of it. When we got to the end we did thetest we both wentthru the first two courses and then it was on to the quickstop, the other dude went first and I lined up to go and watched as he got downrange, hit his breaks anddown he went, I could not believe it, dud was ok ,bike was beat up a bit(not a Harley,thankGod) but still rideable, he failed at that point,I guess he could come back in 24 hours to retake it. I felt bad for him because he really needed the course cause he works on the base and needs the decal, I just kinda wanted to get the decal, hell I havent even put it on my bike yet. Anyways Ipassed the whole thing with a 100% on the written and feel good about taking it over all. I was wondering how I stayed upright all these years after learning that I was doing alot of stuff wrong.
correct me if I am wrong, you meed to take and pass the basic MSF Course to get a decal for on base driving, not the experienced course

Old 06-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: UncleDon

ORIGINAL: so165

correct me if I am wrong, you meed to take and pass the basic MSF Course to get a decal for on base driving, not the experienced course

When I was at Fort Carson, CO in 98-01 They only offered the ERC on Base. They would offcer the BRC through the community colllege right outside the base.

Quick Reply: Experienced rider course