General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Etiquette?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:14 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Riding Etiquette?

I've been sitting and reading this forum, thinking back on last riding season and this question sticks in my mind.
What do you do when riding in a group of 5 or 6 bikes on a nice mountain road, like the BRP, traveling at or just below the speed limit and faster bikes come up on you? I've been riding for over 30 years and I was always taught to go single file and wave the faster bikes around when it is safe to do so. On roads like the Blue Ridge Parkway, pulling off at the next overlook is often the best option.
I ask because I notice lots of bikes won't "wave" you around when you come up on them. They think they are the "speed police" or something and just try to do a rolling roadblock. Anytime I notice sportbikes coming up fast, I'll pull to the right track and wave them through. They usually respond with a friendly nod or wave and are gone in a split second.
Some riders are out for a spirited ride while others are cruising. I've found that it makes the cruising rides more enjoyable if I just wave'um by and watch them fly.
So, do you let them go or do you try to f*^* with them? Your not going to keep a sportbike behind you for long if he really wants by anyway.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:20 AM
DC2250
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me , I'm a cruiser, ridin the speed limit plus 5 mph maybe, I give them an opportunity to come around, I'm enjoying, not gonna let them f*** up my ridin'.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:20 AM
stlboarder
Cruiser

I just wave them on by. What really pisses me off though is when a car is going way too slow or they haulass behind me.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Asphalt Assailant
Advanced

My rule of the road is~~~slower traffic, keep right.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:25 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

If I'm out for a ride and have the cruise control on mosey, anyone that wants to go faster and pass me is welcome to.Why should I care how fast they want to go?.,,

Old 01-28-2009, 08:29 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 264 Posts

My wife took a riders course and bought herself a bike last year; they were taught to maintain position in the left side of their lane when being overtaken, esp by cars. Riding two up in Italy last fall, I observed EVERYBODY moving over to the right when being overtaken and suggested, sarcasticaly, they need to learn how to drive properly; I think it's a matter of courtesy and always move over if I can.....

Old 01-28-2009, 08:30 AM
jbphoto
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've also been riding for quite a while. 49 years next month to be exact and I think that those of us who've been riding as long as you and I were taught the right way to handle those types of situations. I also wave by faster riders or pull over when safe to do so. I do this for cars as well as other bikes. I haven't often run into the "speed police" bikers as my speed demon days are over but I would hazard a guess that they are younger riders. I have had lots of cars do this and it's most often the blue hairs (no disrespect for those older than I) that have a death grip on the wheel and can't seem to find the go pedal. Others on cell phones tend to slow down. It seems they forget they're on the road and that they should pay attention to driving. So, mcrider1, I share your feelings but to answer your question, No, I don't mess with them as it serves no purpose. I try to get out of their way one way or another as quickly and safely as I can.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Airpump
Road Captain

A Suzuki Hayabusa passed me the other day and he was going so damn fast, honestly, I couldn't tell if he returned my waved or not!!

Old 01-28-2009, 08:37 AM
sniper uk
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ii,d rather have them (sports bikes) in front of me ...

rather than behind me....i let them past...no problem....

Old 01-28-2009, 08:45 AM
DeckerDude
Road Master

Always wave faster bikes past but to be honest I'm usually the faster bike and not to many others will wave ya' past...Which brings up another question how come so many folks ride so slow ??

Quick Reply: Riding Etiquette?