General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long-Term Storage Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 03:40 AM
surfingspleen
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long-Term Storage Questions

I must store my 97 Low Rider for 3 to 5 years and would like some tips. I've heard when you winterize a bike you fill the tank and add fuel stabilizer but the movers say I must empty my tank and carb completely. Won't this cause rust? Coating the tank is not an option because I only have a couple days to prepare.

-Should I coat the entire bike in anything such as WD-40?
-Is merely putting on a thick coat of wax sufficient?
-How do I drain the carb?
-Tires at max air pressure?
-How long will my battery survive unplugged?

Appreciate any advice.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:11 AM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No surprise that movers require tank to be in empty for transport. When bike arrives at its destination, can you ask someone to fill the tank, add STA-BIL then run the bike for a few minutes?

Consider stands so that tires are off the ground and will not get flat spots (although might be time for a change 3-5 years later)

Consider a battery tender for your battery (not sure if it will be ok to do so for 3-5 years straight). Then again, might be due for a change also 3-5 years later.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:31 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

3-5 years. Forget the stabil its only good for 6-12 months. Drain all fuel from the tank, carbs, lines etc.
Buy some fogging oil (you should find it at the autoparts store). Spray the inside of the tank, spray the carb and intake (while cranking the engine), remove the plugs and spray the inside of the cylinder.
Fresh oil and filters. Remove the battery, I'd plan on getting a new one in 3-5 years.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:40 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
3-5 years. Forget the stabil its only good for 6-12 months. Drain all fuel from the tank, carbs, lines etc.
Buy some fogging oil (you should find it at the autoparts store). Spray the inside of the tank, spray the carb and intake (while cranking the engine), remove the plugs and spray the inside of the cylinder.
Fresh oil and filters. Remove the battery, I'd plan on getting a new one in 3-5 years.
+1 on this. I'd just replace the tires when you pull the bike back out. Also, to keep the scoot from rusting in that 3-5 years, you can spray the entire bike down with WD-40.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:46 AM
Romark
Road Master

Originally Posted by piasspj
What he said

Old 04-21-2009, 07:48 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

Harley tanks are painted onthe inside, drained is much better than full. Make sure to run the carb dry. Pull the spark plugs put a squirt or two of Marvel Mystery oil or similar in (don't fill the cylinders). Remove the battery and give it away to someone who needs one. A tractor supply will have cans of high pressure lubricant. After cleaning the bike well, spray a nice coat on the bare aluminum pieces and nuts and bolts and spokes and nipples that might corrode. I wouldn"t worry about the painted sheetmetal.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Romark
Road Master

I don't know if I would spray the whole bike down with WD-40. That stuff is not that good anyway. I would spray the exposed aluminum parts like the cylinder fins with a preserative. I forget the name but the bike shop should be able to point you in the right direction.

Don't forget to leave yourself a note to change the brake fluid when you pull it out of storage.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:50 AM
Romark
Road Master

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
Harley tanks are painted onthe inside, drained is much better than full. Make sure to run the carb dry. Pull the spark plugs put a squirt or two of Marvel Mystery oil or similar in (don't fill the cylinders). Remove the battery and give it away to someone who needs one. A tractor supply will have cans of high pressure lubricant. After cleaning the bike well, spray a nice coat on the bare aluminum pieces and nuts and bolts and spokes and nipples that might corrode. I wouldn"t worry about the painted sheetmetal.
What he said

Old 04-21-2009, 08:11 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

I also would not cover it, covers hold moisture in.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:15 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Best to keep running, I provided free pick up and delivery.

Quick Reply: Long-Term Storage Questions