General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100 Cubic Inch

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 10:11 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

one way to really make it fast is called a Bussa...A used one might be had for what U'll spent on making Urs and still not will the war...

Old 09-17-2009, 11:42 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmorral
I'll call my bike "Japanese Killer"
What do you think the bike is called now?

Old 09-17-2009, 12:41 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Should have called it a Springfield.More politicly correct.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:11 AM
kornflake
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile more than just a 12 hundred

converting an 883 or a 1200 is a good idea as long as you don't go to crazy.

The best bang for the buck is simply to get your heads ported.

The main thing to remember when porting the heads is a Harley-Davidson is famous for its torque. and for street use so you want to get maximum torque in the lower end too mid range.

if you port the motorcycle heads to take advantage of the upper RPM range the bike will react flat and will only peek at the higher rev limits.

simply stated, you will get less torque in the beginning and
this will leave the bike running similarly a two cycle and will not be all that great at starting out unless the RPMs are very high.

So setting it up as a drag bike will get you very high horsepower but you will suffer in low-end torque.

To be honest I really don't understand the difference between horsepower and torque except that I was told torque is the feel of the arm jerking pull sensation new get when starting out or popping the clutch.

Maybe somebody else might have a better understanding and can explain it.

When I had my engine worked on I did not know this and I wanted a lot of horsepower of what I failed to realize it wasn't the horsepower I was looking for it was the low-end torque "pull" when I cracked the throttle open in city traffic.

I am now in the process of having the motorcycle re ported to give me more low-end torque.

I am in San Diego and just so happens to be the same area where the legendary master Porter for Harley Davidson engines lives and works.

The company is called Henderson's performance, and he is Harley-Davidson Buell factory trained professional who specializes in these types of engines.

I have good results so far and he has been very honest with me and carries a good reputation. But whoever you choose whether it is dan at NHRS or somebody else, don't forget to specify the RPM range that you are wanting most to enhance.

Make sure that they have experience with Harley Davidson engines because of their design they require a skilled professional with real-world experience.

shiny side up

Old 09-19-2009, 02:46 AM
cycletrash98
Cruiser

trade it in for a super glide and punch the twin cam out

Old 09-19-2009, 03:43 AM
HDXXX
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"THE WOODIE"
This monstrous motorcycle currently holds the title as the largest displacement, 45 degree, V-Twin, street engine in the world. It features a 205 cubic inch (3370cc) Hyperformance Pro-motor with a 5 5/16" bore & 5 1/4" stroke. It is built on a Heavy Metal Customs rigid frame, with dual S&S D carbs, BDL TF Primary Drive, & a 300mm rear tire! This bike will put 250 horsepower to the rear wheel. The bike has been nicknamed "The Woodie" for one very obvious reason, but also features locally handcrafted real wood accents on the tank and fenders.

Contact Doc's Harley-Davidson of Shawno Wisconsin. He builds Dragracing bikes, and will get you the hp you want.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:18 AM
performanceisthekey
Road Captain

Buy a Kawasaki. Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki,Ducati, Triumph, KTM, etc etc

Old 09-19-2009, 04:21 AM
performanceisthekey
Road Captain

So a twin turbo Hayabusa that weighs in at under 600 LBS puts out 500 rear wheel horsepower. And handles better and will last longer.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:37 PM
kornflake
6th Gear

my sportier is just fine it feels strong and still handles well and i don't have to ride bent over like a sport bike

i usually stay close enough to the speed limit so as not to attract trouble.

i like it and when i want to ride a bigger bike i have a crossbones 2008.

i mist say tho something about the sportster is addictive and i seam to enjoy it more than the big twin.

but if i weir to go to a sport bike i would get a buel 1100r
and if i wanted more power i would get a s$s custom or a bos hos.

i will not buy Japanese bike.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:08 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

These are fun conversations.

One group: "When will the Motor Company finally put out a really big, large-displacement bike that has some power right off the showroom floor?"

The other group: "If you want power like that, buy something else."

Yet another group: "If you want that kind of power from your HD, do your homework, open your toolbox (or wallet), and work your bike smartly."

Harleys are heavy. That heaviness = smoothness and "cruisability," for lack of a better word. If you really want to get some pep out of your Harley, for cheap, go the old-fashioned route: chop some crap off, then make the most of what you've got left.

Get your hands on an old XS650 and chop, bob, bore, tweak, fuss, mod, etc., to your heart's content and learn your way around a bike and how to mod it just right. The knowledge base and parts availability for XS650s (stock, performance, and "custom") is vast. And you'll develop your own approach to getting just the performance you want, and you'll develop your own style on the way. If you take the time, you'd be surprised what you can get a 650 to do.

It will take a little money, but nowhere near as much as paying an indy to do an expensive mod only to learn it wasn't quite what you had in mind.

When you learn those lessons, you'll have a fun little bike, and then you'll know exactly how to attack your Harley.