General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: What is wrong with RevTech engines?

RevTech engines are appealing to some because of their price. Many members have reported issues with the engines and steer many people clear of them.

Read Below to find out:
-What issues people are having with RevTech engines
-What engine to buy instead of RevTech
-What issues other engines have
Print Wikipost

What is wrong with RevTech engines?

Old 10-29-2012, 10:21 PM
harleychopper
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnyiroc
I was reading in another thread to stay away from them. Just wondering why and what previous experiences with their engine were.
That is no ****!!! I was forced to sell my :-( Roadking had to buy a stupid car for daughters graduation & got a 06 chopper as partial payment with 110 revtech, it look good and ran strong but it was a piece of ****, took a 80 mile trip **** died on me twice while waiting on a red lite than it developed a leak by head gaskets, had it fixed and 100 miles later leak was back, had my certified mechanic do over, **** didn't work. Revtech uses 0-rings instead of high temp head gaskets. Got rid of piece of **** broke my piggy bank & once again got me a man's bike.... Harley D. :-)

Last edited by harleychopper; 10-29-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:06 PM
1995 softail
Intermediate

Running an Ulima 113...

6 speed trans and open belt

comes with carb, fiter and ignition

$5300. shipped

all polished...

monster torque
sounds killer...
when im done with it..

i will slap the stock motor back in with drive components.. and keep good resale value. i never understood the point in trying to build an engine way past what its meant to be used for..

these engines good or bad are a drop in replacement..break in is crucial..

i cant comment on Revtech or S&S....

p.S red lock tight on every bolt on the bike.. vibration is insane... but soooo cooooollll

Old 10-30-2012, 08:14 AM
an Uncouth Barbarian
Road Warrior
Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by olozada
But then again 90% of Harley Davidson is made of Asain parts. So the buy American crap doesn't hold water; they are built (Assembled) in America.
How much research did you do before you made this bullshit statement?

Old 10-30-2012, 09:34 AM
Larry Eidell
Stage I

Originally Posted by olozada
You know the only problem I have is....people saying how bad Revtechs are but have never had one. I have been shopping for an engine and to make it fair, I asked dealers who sell all 3 ( S & S, Ultima and Revtech). Here is what I have found and don't tak my word, look into it yourself. 8 out of 10 dealers will tell you these things about all 3:

Revtech is cheaper because it was made in Korea. But then again 90% of Harley Davidson is made of Asain parts. So the buy American crap doesn't hold water; they are built (Assembled) in America.

S & S cost more and is used more. Ultima falls second in terms of cost with Revtech coming in 3rd at cost.

If you look around and ask questions you will find plenty of people who have had problems with all 3 and people who stand by all 3. However you will hear plenty stories about "my friend had". It boils down to assembly. All the problems end up being because something locked up because it was assemble wrong or improper spacings or torque.

I have been leaning towards a 110 Revtech and here is why:

I believe if an engine is as good as a manufacturer makes it sound and a dealer stands behind it. Then they whould give you a warranty that reflects that same level of confidence. If I spend my money on your product, I made a large commitment to your product. So, I expect you will make the same level of commitment to me. That being said Revtech gives you a 3 year, 30,000 mile warranty with their engines. Ultima gives 1 year and S & S gives you 6 months.

So the more money you pay, the less warranty you get in return. I don't care what people who don't have a Revtech are saying about them. Like the old saying goes "put your money where your mouth is". When is S & S and Ultima going to put their money where their mouth is.

One dealer told me and I quote. "We carry all 3 but if you want to know the truth; the best engine is Revtech. It has a better warranty and it is more advanced. Everyone talks S & S but they have gotten more expensive but are being made cheaper and they lowered their warranty to six months".

These are my oppinions, don't take my word..look around for yourself.
I agree with you Olozada.The manufactures that stand behind their products are the ones with the best Warranties.Put up or shut up!I found out 2 years ago looking at bicylces that as long as any manufacture "Assembles" their product in the USA;they can say and put a sticker on it saying "Made in the USA"

Old 11-01-2012, 05:06 PM
RevTech guy
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I realize this is an old thread but thought I might share a little RevTech fact here and yes I do work for Custom Chrome.
Every engine manufacturer has had issues of one kind or another and as the warranty guy and an old fart that's been playing with these things over 40 yrs I can speak from experience with every manufacturer.
RevTech has had a well documented history of challenges with their engine program and quite frankly, as a company.
There is so much more involved in making a motor decision than just the brand as in application and expectations.
Current info:
RevTech long blocks are assembled in our Korean factory. They are shipped here for assembly in CA using a majority of well known USA manufactured parts. DAE-IL our parent company has been manufacturing automotive and motorcycle components for many of the top OEM names in motorsports all over the world for decades and at one time I believe both HD and S&S were customers. Gen I motors unfortunately laid down a tough road for future RevTech engines because they just had a lot of design issues. Like most manufacturers, those problems were addressed in future generations. Are our motors unique and thereby not the easiest to find parts for on the road? Absolutely and certainly a consideration but not necessarily a deal killer. Again, what's your application and expectations? Does the front end cost justify the possible back end cost? Bottom line is there are no current ongoing issues with any of our motors. Do components fail? Sure
Are there multiple reasons why parts fail? Yes
Are they sometimes caused by other factors than how and where they are assembled? Absolutely!
Feel free to ask me any RevTech and or CCI questions through PM or threads and I will monitor any related posts to try and provide you honest info.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:27 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking2000
I have a friend that has a S&S sitting in a aftermarket softail frame and when people ask, he says he has a Harley. To me. it never was and never will be a Harley. Harleys are Harleys. S&S is S&S and Revtec is Revtec. You can't put just any v-twin in a frame and call it a Harley. You don't call a 102 Yamaha Road Star a Fat Boy now do you? And you don't put a Yamaha engine in a Harley frame and still have yourself a Harley. Revtec and S&S and any other engine maker falls into the same boat as the Yamaha engine. Put it in your bike, and you no longer have a Harley. Some seem to have some tolerance level on what you can put in your bike and still call it a Harley, but I'm not one of them. It may be a perfectly great engine, but it either is or isn't a HD, and I happen to want a Harley. If I ever went with a aftermarket engine and someone asked what kind of bike I had, I'd probably say I have a S&S engine sitting in a Harley frame. I'd never say I had a Harley.
id say u have harley ego....dude , do u realize you said harley at least a dozen times and one or two "hd" 's in a single paragraph lol ??

Old 11-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Mike_FCVA
Stage I
Default Warranties

Harley only warranties their crate engines if they are installed in the exact stock frame they were designed for. Drop a 110TC in any aftermarket frame, and according to MoCo, you do not have a street legal engine. Zero warranty.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:28 AM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RevTech guy
I realize this is an old thread but thought I might share a little RevTech fact here and yes I do work for Custom Chrome.
Every engine manufacturer has had issues of one kind or another and as the warranty guy and an old fart that's been playing with these things over 40 yrs I can speak from experience with every manufacturer.
RevTech has had a well documented history of challenges with their engine program and quite frankly, as a company.
There is so much more involved in making a motor decision than just the brand as in application and expectations.
Current info:
RevTech long blocks are assembled in our Korean factory. They are shipped here for assembly in CA using a majority of well known USA manufactured parts. DAE-IL our parent company has been manufacturing automotive and motorcycle components for many of the top OEM names in motorsports all over the world for decades and at one time I believe both HD and S&S were customers. Gen I motors unfortunately laid down a tough road for future RevTech engines because they just had a lot of design issues. Like most manufacturers, those problems were addressed in future generations. Are our motors unique and thereby not the easiest to find parts for on the road? Absolutely and certainly a consideration but not necessarily a deal killer. Again, what's your application and expectations? Does the front end cost justify the possible back end cost? Bottom line is there are no current ongoing issues with any of our motors. Do components fail? Sure
Are there multiple reasons why parts fail? Yes
Are they sometimes caused by other factors than how and where they are assembled? Absolutely!
Feel free to ask me any RevTech and or CCI questions through PM or threads and I will monitor any related posts to try and provide you honest info.
best post in this entire thread.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

Just my 2 cents, but saying that 90% of HD's come from asian countrys I think might be a bit of a stretch. I would have to see some proof on that one.

The other thing is, would you rather have a motor with a three year warranty that is broke down all the time, or would you rather have a motor with a 6 month warranty that rarely breaks down at all. Just sayin.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:51 AM
Wierdbeard
Stage II
Default uh huh..I joined becasue of this thread

Its always "a friend" "my buddy" "someone they know" well let me tell you I own a second generation Rev Tech motor (not 4X4) and I have done nothing but hole shots, burnouts and wheelies with that ****ing thing since day one, I never "broke" it in, I never babied it, and I almost never change the oil in it, and the only problem I ever had was I lost a valve seat, and that was my fault for floating it.....so....I am guessing that most of these stories are due to the fact that someone inexperienced built a bike, used a RevTech motor and the bike is always breaking down, but its not the motor...it everything else, but you see a broken custom bike and it must be the motor...ehhhhh...its a decent motor for the price...mine and NO ONE I know has had problems with theirs over 15k miles and still just fine!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is wrong with RevTech engines?