General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: What is wrong with RevTech engines?

RevTech engines are appealing to some because of their price. Many members have reported issues with the engines and steer many people clear of them.

Read Below to find out:
-What issues people are having with RevTech engines
-What engine to buy instead of RevTech
-What issues other engines have
Print Wikipost

What is wrong with RevTech engines?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 02:24 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,598 Likes on 9,813 Posts

So whats the dilly, doesnt H-D sell replacement engines....?

Old 08-07-2018, 04:42 PM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Yes, a new thread would have been appropriate.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:39 PM
JoePan1949
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RevTech

Ive had this 100" RevTech Custom Bobber for over a decade without a problem

With a 2000 RevTech 100" since day one, I havent experienced any troubles until my son began f#^king with the idle speed. Now its running rich and I gotta find the sweet spot to close the throttle valve properly again.

Last edited by JoePan1949; 08-29-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:19 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
So whats the dilly, doesnt H-D sell replacement engines....?
Only for Twinkies. Anything else, you're SOL from the MoCo.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:29 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

I have a friend who has had a rev tech for at least 20 years and runs the snot out of it. No problems yet. But i must agree that all i've heard about them has been bad. Maybe the newer ones are better.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:04 AM
flh77
Novice
Default rev tech guy

Originally Posted by RevTech guy
I realize this is an old thread but thought I might share a little RevTech fact here and yes I do work for Custom Chrome.
Every engine manufacturer has had issues of one kind or another and as the warranty guy and an old fart that's been playing with these things over 40 yrs I can speak from experience with every manufacturer.
RevTech has had a well documented history of challenges with their engine program and quite frankly, as a company.
There is so much more involved in making a motor decision than just the brand as in application and expectations.
Current info:
RevTech long blocks are assembled in our Korean factory. They are shipped here for assembly in CA using a majority of well known USA manufactured parts. DAE-IL our parent company has been manufacturing automotive and motorcycle components for many of the top OEM names in motorsports all over the world for decades and at one time I believe both HD and S&S were customers. Gen I motors unfortunately laid down a tough road for future RevTech engines because they just had a lot of design issues. Like most manufacturers, those problems were addressed in future generations. Are our motors unique and thereby not the easiest to find parts for on the road? Absolutely and certainly a consideration but not necessarily a deal killer. Again, what's your application and expectations? Does the front end cost justify the possible back end cost? Bottom line is there are no current ongoing issues with any of our motors. Do components fail? Sure
Are there multiple reasons why parts fail? Yes
Are they sometimes caused by other factors than how and where they are assembled? Absolutely!
Feel free to ask me any RevTech and or CCI questions through PM or threads and I will monitor any related posts to try and provide you honest info.

just purchased a 2005 big bear venom chopper with a 110 rev tech motor . bike has 3000 miles on it, No comp release, what gen is this motor? what do you think ? thanks

Old 12-09-2018, 02:09 AM
flh77
Novice

Just purchased a 2005 big bear venom chopper with a 110 rev tech motor no comp release. bike has 3000 miles. what gen is this motor and what do you think.... thanks

Old 11-29-2019, 03:11 AM
Brian Ski
Stage I

Ijust picked up a custom for pennies on the dollar...it's an 02' softaiil frame with a Revtech motor. I no nothing about them, in fact, my question is: how can I tell which revtech I have? the 110, 115? 125? cant find any numbers except the vin.. im sure the vin tells it but thought Id ask here first.

Old 11-29-2019, 07:05 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Go to the first post in this thread, and start reading, you will find out soon enough.The best thing for you to do is start saving your money now, for a Harley crate engine, while you are waiting for your Revtech to go to hell in a hand basket.
Now welcome to the HDForum, from the middle part of Texas. You can gain a lot of knowledge, and have a lot of fun on here, but you will need some pretty thick shin ever now and again.

Last edited by 6 gun; 11-29-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-08-2023, 09:54 AM
Caboverken
Stage I

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
Just my 2 cents, but saying that 90% of HD's come from asian countrys I think might be a bit of a stretch. I would have to see some proof on that one.

The other thing is, would you rather have a motor with a three year warranty that is broke down all the time, or would you rather have a motor with a 6 month warranty that rarely breaks down at all. Just sayin.
I bought my bike in late Sept 2010 and I also live in the rainy Pacific northwest. Bike was custom built the problems I have had with this bike were from the builder using the cheapest parts on it. I have had no problems with the rev-tech 88 at all. I ride in all weather conditions except snow and ice. It's a 23 year old motor that still runs great. Sooo I tell people that my bike is not a h-d that the only thing on my bike that is h-d is the air cleaner cover other than that it's a rev-tech

Quick Reply: What is wrong with RevTech engines?