General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: What is wrong with RevTech engines?

RevTech engines are appealing to some because of their price. Many members have reported issues with the engines and steer many people clear of them.

Read Below to find out:
-What issues people are having with RevTech engines
-What engine to buy instead of RevTech
-What issues other engines have
Print Wikipost

What is wrong with RevTech engines?

Old 01-07-2010, 12:26 PM
hdfat2001
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by malla1962
So how does the price of a stock harley engine compare with the other 3? and what warranty do you get?
A brand New 80" EVO goes for $3495 in Silver or $3995 in Black.

Rev-Tech has an 88" Evo style at around $4400

Old 01-07-2010, 12:52 PM
PaleRearEnd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My best friend has a 110 Revtech in his 97 Roadking, 50,000 miles on it... not one problem.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JW1200
Naw.......Last time I saw him, he was pushing the bike at the dragon!!
Uh, No. Just decided to buy a different bike, with a Evo. Parts are everywhere.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:36 PM
performanceisthekey
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by olozada
You know the only problem I have is....people saying how bad Revtechs are but have never had one. I have been shopping for an engine and to make it fair, I asked dealers who sell all 3 ( S & S, Ultima and Revtech). Here is what I have found and don't tak my word, look into it yourself. 8 out of 10 dealers will tell you these things about all 3:

Revtech is cheaper because it was made in Korea. But then again 90% of Harley Davidson is made of Asain parts. So the buy American crap doesn't hold water; they are built (Assembled) in America.

S & S cost more and is used more. Ultima falls second in terms of cost with Revtech coming in 3rd at cost.

If you look around and ask questions you will find plenty of people who have had problems with all 3 and people who stand by all 3. However you will hear plenty stories about "my friend had". It boils down to assembly. All the problems end up being because something locked up because it was assemble wrong or improper spacings or torque.

I have been leaning towards a 110 Revtech and here is why:

I believe if an engine is as good as a manufacturer makes it sound and a dealer stands behind it. Then they whould give you a warranty that reflects that same level of confidence. If I spend my money on your product, I made a large commitment to your product. So, I expect you will make the same level of commitment to me. That being said Revtech gives you a 3 year, 30,000 mile warranty with their engines. Ultima gives 1 year and S & S gives you 6 months.

So the more money you pay, the less warranty you get in return. I don't care what people who don't have a Revtech are saying about them. Like the old saying goes "put your money where your mouth is". When is S & S and Ultima going to put their money where their mouth is.

One dealer told me and I quote. "We carry all 3 but if you want to know the truth; the best engine is Revtech. It has a better warranty and it is more advanced. Everyone talks S & S but they have gotten more expensive but are being made cheaper and they lowered their warranty to six months".

These are my oppinions, don't take my word..look around for yourself.
Excellent points and very well said Sir.

"S&S probably has a six month warranty because their motors are built better and they know it."

Uh, I'm not seeing even the smallest bit of logic in that statement. Logic would dictate that a high quality product has the longer warranty so that the company can make it through the warranty period with to omany claims. This is from a business standpoint.

Companies that offer short warranties either 1. know they don't have a reliable product, 2.Their product is often abused out of the box (Motocross bikes) or 3. They don't care about offering the consumer so insurance that their investment will be a good one.

No one gives you a shorter warranty because "they have a better product"

Originally Posted by leicafish
Could not have verbalized this any better.
Prove him wrong then. It's easy to criticize without having any facts to back it up. I have pictures of HD shipping boxes if you would like copies that show the country of origin if you would like them.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-12-2018 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
The following users liked this post:
Daytonavtwin (10-26-2021)
Old 01-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Like it or not we are in a worldwide economy, parts are made in many countries and assembled here, HD is like every other company they need to make a profit and will shop for the best deal with the quality they spec out. Look at what you drive everyday (cars and trucks). Autos have to show where the parts are made bikes don't

Old 01-14-2010, 09:57 PM
texas_speed_freak
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by performanceisthekey
"S&S probably has a six month warranty because their motors are built better and they know it."

Uh, I'm not seeing even the smallest bit of logic in that statement. Logic would dictate that a high quality product has the longer warranty so that the company can make it through the warranty period with to omany claims. This is from a business standpoint.

Companies that offer short warranties either 1. know they don't have a reliable product, 2.Their product is often abused out of the box (Motocross bikes) or 3. They don't care about offering the consumer so insurance that their investment will be a good one.

I agree. I would classify S+S under number 2, they are often abused right out of the box and the warranty reflects that. Go to any Harley drag races and see what the majority of engines in the bikes are.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:19 PM
GameShark
Intermediate
Location: Southern Ca, 5 miles north of the Santa Monica Mtns
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GameShark

Originally Posted by performanceisthekey

Warranty's are often used as a sales item. Quite often a longer warranty is offered on a product of lesser quality, there by making the item more attractive to a potential buyer. Honda motor car has legendary reliability, yet a relatively short warranty.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
Like it or not we are in a worldwide economy, parts are made in many countries and assembled here, HD is like every other company they need to make a profit and will shop for the best deal with the quality they spec out. Look at what you drive everyday (cars and trucks). Autos have to show where the parts are made bikes don't
This is very true....still amusing to watch the brainwashed cling to the notion that their "Built in America" bikes are American purebreds. The funny part is most of the Japanese parts and components Harley uses are the most significant improvements the bikes have ever had. Keihin CV Carburetors, Showa (Honda) forks. I don't see an unusual amount of complaints about the handling of the bikes, just an occasional leaking fork seal....even though they are bottom shelf low tech. damper rod forks they are still light years ahead of the junk forks from the AMF days that were better at oiling the front brake pads, and never seemed to quit leaking no matter how many new seals you put in them. There are a few aftermarket companies that specialize in making a great performing Keihin CV carb. perform even better. I don't recall a specialty aftermarket born to modify the Bendix carb. I heard they did make good door stops though.

Tech23

Old 01-15-2010, 12:19 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

90%? So are we saying that of ALL the part numbers in my books, 9 out of ten were sourced from asian suppliers??? Hmmm...

The issue I have with Rev-Tech is it's a deliberate, less costly copy of of an icon; kinda like wearing a "Rolex" watch that cost $29 and has a jump second hand...you wanna look the part but not spend the money...to me there's a difference between the "best deal" and the "real deal" Just my opinion.....

Old 01-15-2010, 07:01 AM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sharkey
90%? So are we saying that of ALL the part numbers in my books, 9 out of ten were sourced from asian suppliers??? Hmmm...

The issue I have with Rev-Tech is it's a deliberate, less costly copy of of an icon; kinda like wearing a "Rolex" watch that cost $29 and has a jump second hand...you wanna look the part but not spend the money...to me there's a difference between the "best deal" and the "real deal" Just my opinion.....
In my opinion, people wouldnt be buying Revtech or S&S engines if Harley made the engines perform in the first place. Lets face it, anything short of the screamin eagle is just plain out lacking in power for a heavy touring bike. The factory built Shovelheads,Evo, the 88, and 96 are not barn burners either. Sure each newer design is better, but thats not much of an improvement for 50 years of R&D.

The way I see it, all Electra Glides from 84+ are about the same. You buy what color you like and buy what bike has the engine you like. There isnt much difference from say a 87 to a 07 as far as looks go. If Honda made their bikes all look like 1971 CB360s today, they wouldnt sell very many. Some how Harley pulls this one off very well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is wrong with RevTech engines?