General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck drivers!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:10 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Truck drivers!

What happened to the day when truck drivers were considered the gold standard of driving? The past few years it seems you're as likely to get cutoff by a truck driver as you are a Camry or a mini van. I'm talking big rigs, 18 wheelers. Seems at least once or twice a week I have one just pull right into my lane in front of me and cut me off.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:16 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

There has been a huge influx of new people into the trucking industry over the last several years. Many are younger and most are graduates of one of the many "driving schools" that have popped up everywhere.

They get a couple of weeks training and get their CDL and are turned loose to terrorize the public.

I've been driving trucks for longer than I care to admit and am constantly amazed by what I've been seeing on the road the last few years. These guys and gals are driving their trucks like they are driving the family car. It really scares me.

I think the thing I see that pisses me off the most is the one's that tailgate. Very dangerous and really bad PR.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:19 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts
Default Follow up.

I'm sure some driver will chime in here and say that it's because they are under a tight schedule or some crap like that.

That is no excuse to risk the lives of innocent people out on the road. I don't care what the cars do to make it less safe for us. We as professionals should always put the safety of the driving public as our #1 priority. Not making money or getting a load off on time....Period!!

Old 09-15-2009, 09:24 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,925 Likes on 8,255 Posts

Originally Posted by petemac
What happened to the day when truck drivers were considered the gold standard of driving? The past few years it seems you're as likely to get cutoff by a truck driver as you are a Camry or a mini van. I'm talking big rigs, 18 wheelers. Seems at least once or twice a week I have one just pull right into my lane in front of me and cut me off.
It's called encroachment. Big trucks need to do this because dumbass cagers won't let them in, so they have to "take it".

Old 09-15-2009, 09:26 AM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tight schedule, por quality of drivers, and I'm willing to bet the #1 cause of the rude & dangerous behavior would be that the drivers are paid by the mile.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:31 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

Exactly my thoughts.

Originally Posted by IronAss
These guys and gals are driving their trucks like they are driving the family car.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:35 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

I was on my bike and they cut me off like someone in a car that doesn't even look. If they waited 30 seconds they could have pulled in behind me. It's the part that they don't even seem to look that scares me the most.

The thing I find the most frightening is one of these truck drivers on a cell phone! YIKES!!

Originally Posted by JW1200
It's called encroachment. Big trucks need to do this because dumbass cagers won't let them in, so they have to "take it".

Old 09-15-2009, 09:38 AM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,925 Likes on 8,255 Posts

Originally Posted by petemac
The thing I find the most frightening is one of these truck drivers on a cell phone! YIKES!!
Yep. Nothing like controlling 40 tons with a cell phone mashed against ones ear.... They should have their CDL pulled..
If ya gotta talk...Get a blue tooth......

Old 09-15-2009, 09:43 AM
DoobieBrother
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some reason in our area the gravel haulers seem to be far worse about their actions than any other type of semi. Things like running red lights are fairly commonplace for these guys. Fortunately there have been enough complaints that the cops are starting to get after them about it.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:04 AM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rarely ever see a big rig driving erratically. Then again, no matter what vehicle I am in (truck, car, bike) if I see their directional come on I either get in a different lane or slow down enough to let them in ... unless I am near the cab, then I will speed up enough to get out of their way. IMO, they have the right of way for no other reason than they are HUGE. The extra minute it takes from my time to accommodate them is worth the peace of mind.

Quick Reply: Truck drivers!