General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding gear question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 11:04 PM
John75
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Riding gear question

As a new HD rider, any suggestions on proper gear to wear while riding? I see many are geared up well when I pass them on the road. I do wear a helmet, but I am looking from all you professionals proper clothing I should wear. Thanks

Old 09-15-2009, 11:10 PM
oldbagr
Road Master

Well, the "pros" say to dress for the crash which means good helmet, boots, gloves, eye protection, and protective jacket and pants of some type. This is especially true if you do most of your riding on the highway; but it really applies no matter where you ride. Leather is great for protection against road rash, etc.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

To a large degree proper gear depends, I think, on what you want protected, the conditions you'll ride in, and what you plan to do on a ride. I started out with a full face helmet, vented jacket with armor in the elbows, shoulders and back, jeans, and boots. Some people like to wear overpants of some sort as rather than jeans. If you are worried about leg protection but don't want overpants you can pick up something like Sliders jeans that have kevlar in the rear and knees. There are also mesh pants with armor if you want leg protection in warmer summer weather.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:27 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a completely personal thing that only you can answer. A lot of new riders start off wearing tons of stuff for protection and as time goes by they wear less and less of it. Others keep wearing it. It really is a case by case thing. Do what's comfortable for you.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a new rider, I think it's prudent to gear up. You have a higher chance of getting your money's worth out of the gear. As you get experience, you can decide how much risk you're willing to accept in exchange for comfort/cool-factor. I told my kids they have to wear all the gear for the first 10,000 miles. After that, it's their choice.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:03 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Wear as much or as little as you want. Obviously the more protection you wear ,the more protected you'll be. Remember ,riding involves increased risk to begin with!

Old 09-16-2009, 04:09 AM
dmp
Cruiser

Originally Posted by petemac
It's a completely personal thing that only you can answer. A lot of new riders start off wearing tons of stuff for protection and as time goes by they wear less and less of it. Others keep wearing it. It really is a case by case thing. Do what's comfortable for you.
I think it's the opposite when people start riding they want to look real cool in a pair of shorts flip flop sandals and a tank top with a $18 helmet. Then they crash and die or wise up. Personally I dress to the occasion but my attire always includes a fullface pants and my vest. Sometimes shoes other times boots, on the freeway I'll probably have on chaps too, maybe even my leather riding jacket.

Whatever you do just don't over do it with the HD gear, was at the fall bash and some guy looked like a billboard, really, from his boots to his beenie cap not one piece wasn't HD, one guy asked him if his socks and boxers said HD also. Just Cuz you're on a Harley you don't have to change your closet contents.

Last edited by dmp; 09-16-2009 at 04:17 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:06 AM
John75
Intermediate

Thanks all, the reason I really ask I ventured out on a three state ride yesterday and all I had on was shorts and a tee-shirt ( did have DOT helmet ). I never really noticed what riders wear until I purchased my HD and noticed during my ride what others had on. So, I thought I would ask.
I am a full time firefighter and have seen many bike wrecks, and I have seen people with full gear on not fare to well.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:37 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just because you have full gear on doesn't guarantee that you will fair well in a wreck. Leathers/ armour will not protect you from breaking bones or other internal injuries. You can even get head injuries with a FF Helmet. But you will fair better then someone who is just wearing shorts, tank top etc. especially if you lay it down in a curve or get into a fender bender.

The thought of a face plant or sliding down the asphalt does not set well with me. I have had 2 wrecks in a pace line on a bicycle at 20 mph and walked away from both with just road rash but you would be surprise how much hide the asphalt will take off even at 20 Mph with only shorts on.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:18 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With you being new-----others may disagree but in my opinion you should never ride in less than pants, over the ankle boots, gloves, and a full face helmet. Being a firefighter you should know about protective gear. You can dress for the cool look later when your survival skills are better honed.
Originally Posted by John75
Thanks all, the reason I really ask I ventured out on a three state ride yesterday and all I had on was shorts and a tee-shirt ( did have DOT helmet ). I never really noticed what riders wear until I purchased my HD and noticed during my ride what others had on. So, I thought I would ask.
I am a full time firefighter and have seen many bike wrecks, and I have seen people with full gear on not fare to well.

Quick Reply: Riding gear question