General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:49 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sddyna
I also store my bike in an unheated garage. Like Streeteagle said just wash and apply a good coat of wax to the chrome and painted surfaces before storage and you will fine. I also use a cover but leave the bottom open and park the bike on a rubber mat to keep moisture from coming up from below. I have done that for years with no problems. Make sure you put steel wool in the exhaust outlets to keep rodents out and DO NOT start every couple of weeks. That will cause condensation to form in the motor and in the oil. Just put a battery tender on her and let her sit until spring or when you can ride long enough for to fully warm the engine for awhile. Good luck and enjoy the Rocker
Sounds like your parking your bike in my garage...... Spookie.....

Old 09-29-2010, 11:17 AM
DMas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trailfndr
Here in Michigan, I simply wash and wax the bi..Wax the chrome, add fuel stabilizer, plug in the battery tender, and raise the bikes up on jacks or stands. No cover, no heat in garage unless I am out there working on something and turn on a propane heater..

No rust or otehr damage in 10 years of doing things this way.

Only ONE simple rule to follow...DO NOT Start the bike unless you are heading out to ride for at least 15-20 miles. Condensation could build inside the tank or engine parts...unless you get it to full operating temp.
What he said-plus I yank the battery and bring it inside and whip it on a tender.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:52 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by XL50#674
i live in NE Ohio and we have 5-6 months of down time a year. I keep my bikes in the garage and covered all year round so when winter comes I just make sure they have been serviced, I just did that this past weekend, I put Seafoam in the full tanks of gas, hook up the battery tenders and let them sleep all winter. In the Spring I pull them out, wipe them down, air up the tires and the are good to go.
No compensation for the weight to unload the tyres? Kind of motorlift to place the bike on and to relief the tyres from the load. Just resting them on the floor with hardly no load on it? That's what I do when I store the bike for some months. And of course, I prevent direct daylight for UV radiaton on the tyres. But, as said before. The longest period I store the bike is 2 or 3 months at one time. And of course she's serviced (changing oils and oil filter, greased and cleaned/waxed ) before the winter time.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:18 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Been storing all my vehicles in unheated garages for over 45 yrs.Only thing to remember is do not park bikes beside window where sun can warm them.It will fill the motor and trans with condensation.Other wise yes you can cover bikes with breathable cover or blankets.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:34 AM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ltmdl90
Yep put cheap oil in it for the winter. Use the old filter. Then change over to new in the spring. Put a piece wood or carpet under the jiffy stand so battery will not discharge thru it. Stabil in gas and 1 squirt of oil in each cyl and turn over without starting. Cover it.
Myth...

I pretty much do the same except I pull the battery and tender it inside where its warm

Old 09-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Steven G Hindi
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stands...

I'm new here, I stored my 07 Nightster in an unheated garage with a tender.... I'm looking to buy a good stand/ jack (without breaking the bank) Do you guys have any suggestions, brands etc.. Thanks...

Old 09-15-2013, 09:48 AM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

put it in the shed with steel wool in the exhaust with a fuel tank of gas