General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

when to replace lifters

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 06:16 PM
CrashX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastHoss
I think you are on borrowed time.Change lifters,cam chain tensioners,cam bearings,you will be set for another trouble free 50,000 -- hopefully
Why? He's running an '07 with the new tensioners. He may want to take a peek at the to see how much wear is on them, but most of the '07's and up have not had a problem with tensioner wear.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:30 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't worry about them. The lifters in your bike are the same lifters as a SB Chevy runs. Those motors run waaayy longer than 50k miles before falling apart.

As pointed out above, a "new and improved" '07 shouldn't have any cam chest issues in 50k miles.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:26 PM
bshapiro
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was reading in one of the magazines that lifters were recommended to be replaced at about 25 k miles. This sounded strange so I have been searching around. The service departments of course wouldn’t say that was so, the bike has a warranty! The mechanics in the repair business suggest only repairing what is too noisy. The shops that do performance work suggest cams, chain, bearings, lifters and quick adj rods, all in some fashion of stages, depth of pocket being the only thing to slow you down here.

Ok so here is my scenario. This is a 96 inch in a 2009 with 24 k miles on it. Starting from about 3 k miles, the motor started making lifter noise at start up that would go away in about 5 min of warm up. The lifter noise has all but gone away now and is only there for a very short period of time. The noise has never gotten any louder.

So my question as I read on searching for the end of the Internet, is there any opinion for options on these noisy lifters and usable life cycle of the stock lifters?

Regards!

Last edited by bshapiro; 01-31-2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: spell check!
Old 01-31-2010, 05:36 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If changing cams, the lifters are cheap insurance to change. Not expensive at all and not labor intensive either (as long as the cams are out).

If no motor works is being done, no need in taking it apart just for lifters.
The odds are, they will be fine.
But if one does fail, it can be catastrophic (thus the cheap insurance while swapping cams).

Old 01-31-2010, 05:38 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CrashX
Why? He's running an '07 with the new tensioners. He may want to take a peek at the to see how much wear is on them, but most of the '07's and up have not had a problem with tensioner wear.
I almost missed the "07" part too. LOL

Old 01-08-2014, 08:11 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Be careful...There was a good article by an hd mechanic person on here that said not to let them go beyond 30 k miles since the needle bearings can fall out and go down into your engine and toast it well done...I have seen another article by another famous mechanic who writes tech stuff for american iron and he said the same thing...30 k miles then change them or take a risk...mine are at 37k so I am changing them this winter...they are a little noisy too...08 rocker, 96". Much cheaper than a new motor...Less than 500 bucks total including quality after market lifters/parts...supposedly, the after market ones have bigger keepers so the needle bearings can't go down into your motor if they fail...now this plan does create a problem...I should change out the cams and cam shoes while I am in there...??? Ride safe.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:44 AM
xwhyz1959
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 1,398 Likes on 450 Posts

Get em while they're hot fellas!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380807258836...#ht_3430wt_838

Old 01-08-2014, 09:07 AM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Donnie Peterson of AI mag says unless they're getting real noisy and/or you're doing a cam change, put in new ones, otherwise don't worry about 'em, they're good for a 100K. I trust his opinion on stuff more than ANY HD mechanic.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:17 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Somebody must have dug deep for this one from '09, but here's my 2 cents. My '93 didn't make it past 50k on the original lifters. I asked the service guy at the dealer about them before it blew the rollers out of it. Then it went bang. So my advice would be, if you have it open or apart, lifters are cheaper then re-doing the motor.,,

Old 01-08-2014, 02:24 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like stated above. I trust Donny Peterson's opinion. The lifters are and were a problem on some Evo's. Naturally, I changed lifters in my twin cam when I got rid of that chain crap. I expect a 100,000 miles or till overhaul, or top end. Whichever comes first on her. On my Evo. She will be getting new lifters this year and adjustable pushrods at 30,000 plus miles. I am not really worried about her but will do it because I don't trust stock lifters in that model year. The key to her lifter life and the reason I am not worried is because I change oil often, frequently, and use good oil. Besides cleaning that often forgotten screen in the oil passage going to the lifters plus using good oil filters. Twin cams don't have that screen so don't panic newby's.

Quick Reply: when to replace lifters