General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron Pigs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 02:11 PM
garand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Iron Pigs?

I saw a guy yesterday riding what appeared to be an FXST with minor mods. He was rocking his 3 piece "Iron Pigs Georgia" and had a "get back" biker whip. Having not heard of them I googled and found out they are firemen and police officers. My question is, WTF would a man of the law need a biker whip for other than being the ultimate poser?

Old 10-11-2009, 02:12 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe they're not illegal in Georgia.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:17 PM
garand
Road Master

Yes, but what about the actual use of it? Wouldn't using it be considered a weapon. I don't see a justifiable use for it without breaking a law. I'm not the quickest guy around so I may need to be enlightened. What would the legal use of one be? I'm not against using one myself. I'm all for kicking a door or accidentally dropping a nut or bolt. I was just wondering why a policeman or fireman would be interested in doing such things. Hell I'm military, so I guess they're like me. When I'm on my bike I'm not representing anyone but myself.

Last edited by garand; 10-11-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:18 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Many people like to dress up like pirates during their 'away from work' free time.

Doesn't matter what they do for a living..

Old 10-11-2009, 02:23 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The LEO from Seattle that shot an 81 in Sturgis in 2008 was a member of the Iron Pigs. Guess he just had to take his weapon to go drinking in a bar at Sturgis.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:26 PM
garand
Road Master

I'm not really trying to bash on him because of his job. I honestly cannot stand that when a policeman or serviceman gets into any trouble they always want to involve his employer. If I sold tight pants at the Gap do you think they'd call my supervisor if I got a DUI? Hell no. So in a way I feel bad for even bringing it up.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:30 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't know that they accepted firemen--I thought that they were a LEO only club. We have a few Firefighter clubs of our own and we do support a few of the Leo clubs by attending their functions as they attend some of ours. The whip works for other things besides putting it upside a vehicle or person. He might just like the look of the whip. It will discourage a dog. They are also called Louisiana speedometers. I know that at eighty miles per hour mine is straight back in the wind. Seems that a lot of possible posers worry about who is a poser.
Originally Posted by garand
I saw a guy yesterday riding what appeared to be an FXST with minor mods. He was rocking his 3 piece "Iron Pigs Georgia" and had a "get back" biker whip. Having not heard of them I googled and found out they are firemen and police officers. My question is, WTF would a man of the law need a biker whip for other than being the ultimate poser?

Old 10-11-2009, 02:50 PM
kudzu35
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm a soldier... so when I don't wear my reflective gear am I an outlaw? 1er%? Nope... just a preference.

So I don't think having a whip makes one a poser... or even the "Ultimate Poser", its just an accessory.

Besides, was he wearing fingerless gloves? Thats the sign of a poser duh... (sarcasm)

Old 10-11-2009, 02:51 PM
kudzu35
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
I didn't know that they accepted firemen--I thought that they were a LEO only club. We have a few Firefighter clubs of our own and we do support a few of the Leo clubs by attending their functions as they attend some of ours. The whip works for other things besides putting it upside a vehicle or person. He might just like the look of the whip. It will discourage a dog. They are also called Louisiana speedometers. I know that at eighty miles per hour mine is straight back in the wind. Seems that a lot of possible posers worry about who is a poser.
From the Iron Pigs Charter:
The Iron Pigs M/C was founded as an independent non-profit organization in Orville California, in December of 2000. The club was started to bring current and retired Law Enforcement Officers and Fire Fighters of the same mindset and who enjoy riding American made v-twin motorcycles together. We consider each other true brothers and believe that the bond we have now is thicker than blood. IPMC and Chapter events are intended to promote safe activities that will appeal to the membership as a whole. The IPMC is designed to generate an increased interest level of enthusiasm for those who enjoy riding Harley Davidson Motorcycles or clones thereof, manufactured by a North American owned company, as approved by the IPMC Board.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:22 PM
garand
Road Master

Originally Posted by jmerr01
I'm a soldier... so when I don't wear my reflective gear am I an outlaw? 1er%? Nope... just a preference.

So I don't think having a whip makes one a poser... or even the "Ultimate Poser", its just an accessory.

Besides, was he wearing fingerless gloves? Thats the sign of a poser duh... (sarcasm)
Just an accessory? If I'm carrying a firearm is it just an accessory? The intended use is what the issue is. If he's not going to use it for what it's designed for than that's posing. To me, having a whip as a fashion accessory is as dumb as carrying a squirt gun in a holster when riding around, or slinging a fake shotgun across your back. I don't care who poses and who doesn't I was just surprised that someone representing a law enforcement group would be carrying a possible illegal weapon.

Quick Reply: Iron Pigs?