General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter/jackshaft problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:22 AM
justinlsu
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter/jackshaft problem

Hey read several forums and couldnt find exact info so I gotta start a new one. New to this forum so whats up everyone.
Anyway I have a custom bike with 03 93 in b motor with a 3 in primo open primary. Was having problems with my jackshaft not kicking out all the way to turn primary. I took out the stock starter and put in new 1.7 kw all ***** starter. And still jackshaft is not engaging all the way. It only kicked out enough for about 1/8 of the 10 tooth gear to get shredded to nothing. So my question is, is it A) starter silenoid problem B) jackshaft problem C alignment problem. also I was looking at a one peice jackshaft that supposedly is more forgiving on alignment. anyway thanks for the help.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:51 AM
tjvrodrick
Club Member

First of all let me say Welcome to the forum
I can't help you but heres a

Old 12-03-2009, 07:48 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Its not the solinoid. Its more likely the alignment issue. The only prob i had with mine is a bad over run clutch in the starter. Durring gas station stops it would grind like mad but not when it was cold.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:57 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,727 Likes on 6,186 Posts

Starter clutch.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:19 AM
justinlsu
1st Gear

I figured starter clutch too but like I said I put a new starter onyesterday. So if the problem is alignment how do I fix that? And if not that has anyone had problems with their jackshaft with primo open ? And if so what replacement do you suggest

Old 12-03-2009, 08:36 AM
t059736
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Starter problems.....

It sounds that you are far more mechanical than I; however, after years of fighting a "preconceived" starter problem, replacing 3 starters, installing de-compression valves and reading a whole lot of information on the internet and speaking to tens of mechanics;
my problem turn out to be that the starter gear was turning before engaging the clutch gear.
A known problem by Harley but rather than "fix" the problem they sell new starter motors.
The starter shaft has to be shimmied/shorten so it engages the clutch gear prior to starting it's rotation.
This answer and problem fixer was given to me by a starter and clutch repair shop.
Hope this helps.
G

Old 12-03-2009, 06:26 PM
justinlsu
1st Gear

In that case how do you shim, shorten the starter shaft?

Old 12-03-2009, 07:03 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

First, welcome to the forum. Have you contacted the Primo people for some information. I just found my Sept/Oct Ironworks mag and the starter article in it. There is supposed to be an air gap between the end of the pinion gear and the inside edge of the ring gear. The dimension is on a stock set up is .075-.125 inch, if the gap is too large the gears will have problems meshing, resulting in grinding and damaged teeth. Like I said check with Primo and see what they recommend. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:07 PM
justinlsu
1st Gear

Ill check the gap and call primo and all ***** in the am

Old 12-03-2009, 08:47 PM
justinlsu
1st Gear

BAHAHAHAHAHA success!!!!! Hey guys so I guess like probably like every one else on here, Im impatient. Didn't wait to call primo. Played with the starter/jack shaft a little more. Pretty much grinded jackshaft gear to nothing but I got it figured out. So like said earlier the space has to be pretty much next to nill. After I loosened the bolt all the way out kapoww ignition. I still have to space the jack shaft and spring about 1/8 in to have the 7 ft lb torque needed on the bolt, but I got it to engage. I think the spring has just lost tension over time.

I think Im just gonna hit my local hardware store and find a washer to fit in between. If any one knows a better solution let me know. Once again Thanks every one. Success my first time to the forum. Im new to moto mechanic thing. In my first rebuild, my knowledge is exponential to when I started. Hopefully Ill be able to return some info one day to all of yall that helped. Anyway Later

Quick Reply: Starter/jackshaft problem