General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Operating without Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:49 AM
yandeltx
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Operating without Mirrors

Is there anyone out there that don't utilze mirrors on their bike? I have 16" apes and I am thinking about taking the mirrors off. I also look over my shoulder anyway. Just curiuos if anyone else has done this and what their thoughts are. thanks,

Old 05-01-2010, 09:55 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

It's your a$$...Part of staying alive on a bike is knowing what is going on behind you as much as what is going on in front of you...When looking over your shoulder you take your eyes off of the road in front of you...It doesn't take but a split second for things to go wrong...But it is up to you what to do with your bike.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:56 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I turn around for lane changing. The only time I really use mine, is when at a stop light. I like to see who's coming up behind me. I have had to get out of the way before when someone on a cell almost hit me.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,323 Likes on 5,424 Posts

Originally Posted by BennieSG
I turn around for lane changing. The only time I really use mine, is when at a stop light. I like to see who's coming up behind me. I have had to get out of the way before when someone on a cell almost hit me.

That is the reason you really need mirrors. I don't use them much when I am moving...but they will save you at stoplight. There were 2 accidents recently where groups of bikes were hit at stoplights with several deaths. Find you some mirrors that are cool enough for your apes.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:06 AM
softail04
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most states require at least one mirror .
hate the look of mirrors but /find some that look good /ok they stick up so every cop around can see you have or don't have also I do look in mine now and then

Old 05-01-2010, 10:07 AM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I switched to some very small ones on my Sportster and rode with them fine for years, basicly no mirrors. Got my new bike in 08 and said " oh my god", forgot how nice it was to just glance in the mirrors. I do feel more comfortable not wondering if someone is climbing up my ***. Just me but I am keeping the big ones.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Most states require you have at least one rear view mirror. I wouldn't ride w/o mirrors even if it was legal.

Have you tried installing some small ones where they hang UNDER your bars? That wouldn't look like you had junk stuck in the air on top of your bars and would be functional too.

Harley's new Sportster '48' model has the mirrors under the bars and looks good.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US.../model/xl1200x

Last edited by Mal74; 05-01-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:15 AM
slammedfatboy
Advanced

I dont run mirrors on mine but i have to tell ya, sitting at a redlight not knowing whats up behind you is a bad feeling. Im looking for atleast one small mirror to run.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:26 AM
95custmz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slammedfatboy
I dont run mirrors on mine but i have to tell ya, sitting at a redlight not knowing whats up behind you is a bad feeling. Im looking for atleast one small mirror to run.
+1 ... and how ya gonna know when ya need to brake check somebody?

Old 05-01-2010, 10:44 AM
soundman
Road Captain

I couldn't imagine not having mirrors. I always use mine, and everytime I have to slow down, it's automatic...I'm checking both my mirrors. Also, I keep a check in my mirrors before I go around somebody or to check for an escape route in case something goes wrong. I know that cagers do stupid things, but knowing that, I would want to stack the odds in my favor as much as possible. I hate to see bad ideas cause a fellow biker to become another statistic.

Quick Reply: Operating without Mirrors