General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacket advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 09:35 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by PineyRider
After MANY jackets, My jacket of choice is now the Tourmaster 3/4 length transition jacket. I take the liner out for summer, run the liner for spring and fall and add a heated liner for winter. It's the only jacket I need. Plenty of usefull pockets, it even has a EZ-pass zippered pocket at the end of the sleeves!! I like how the collar fits around my neck without letting rainwater in. And it's very waterproof even in downpours. Very comfortable. I tried other textile jackets before this one but they all felt like there were little strips of sandpaper that irritated my arms and neck. The Tourmaster is nice. It is a Cordura style shell, it looks like it would hold up well in a slide if you went down. It cost me $149 about 5 years ago. I think they are around $200 now, well worth the money.
The tourmaster Epic and Transition jackets are nice and the price is cheap but they seem to skimp on abrasion protection with the materials they use (polyester), I guess to get to a lower price point. Only issue is I need to use this on the highway so require better abrasion resistance. Tourmaster would probably be OK at city speeds but I'm not sure it would stand up on the the highway. From what I have read 500 denier polyester only has about 10% of the abrasion resistance of 1000 denier Dupont Cordura or 1.3mm leather, which are rated as having equivalent abrasion resistance. Want something that has similar protection to leather and don't mind paying a little extra to get it. Can't seem to find any jackets made with materials like this though under the $300 price point.

I've been going by this chart.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...4&d=1091074243

Basically I want something that will flow air like a mesh jacket in the summer with mesh panel vents on the front and back, and a removable, warm, fully sleeved, insulating liner and a removable GoreTex wind water liner for in between temps and rain and an outer shell that would stand up to pavement at ~70-80mph.

Last edited by fat_tony; 06-14-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:40 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by mcrider1
This is about as close as you can get to what you describe. It's the jacket of choice for most LD riders.
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-s...en-jacket.html

I've heard AS make good stuff and they get top reviews for protection in the magazines but they don't seem to bother to put good venting in them for hot weather.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:34 AM
RoadRider10
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the Olympia. But Olympia, FirstGear and Tourmaster all make gear that works (yes, even for LD rides). It needs to fit properly to function well and be comfortable. Layering with fleece can help a lot. Have you thought about using electrics (eg FirstGear, Gerbings, Warm and Safe) for your really cold rides?

Old 06-14-2010, 09:13 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member

Going with the Olympia (in silver gray) because of better venting and abrasion resistance although it was more than I originally wanted to spend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO23VAQlZ90

As suggested may get a heated liner too if it gets too cold in the late fall. Suggestions on liners?

Old 06-14-2010, 10:08 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 159 Likes on 98 Posts

Schott! Forget the HD jackets. They're made by preteen chinese slaves.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:13 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
Going with the Olympia (in silver gray) because of better venting and abrasion resistance although it was more than I originally wanted to spend.
I watched the video. It looks to be a well thought out design, If I were looking for another textile jacket I'd give it a look. Although I'm not crazy about the color options. For that matter I'm not crazy about the options on ANY of the non-Harley textile jackets. WTF, can't they offer a orange/black jacket or does Harley have some kind of patent on that color combination?, (they seem to have a patent on everything else). The Olympia Moto-X is listed for $429 on their website. I don't need the fancy hydro hose and bottle set-up, a 16oz bottle of water fits nicely between windshield and headlight on my RK. Never had it bounce out. I wouldn't want to pay extra for the water hydration set-up.