General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacket advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:53 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Jacket advice

Looking for a new jacket. I think I want an all season jacket because I ride in a lot of different weather conditions. It should be comfortable from 95F to 30F, so I think this rules out leather as I have not seen a leather jacket with that kind of adaptability and venting. I also want a GoreTex like waterproofing for breath ability and heavy reinforced Cordura construction, not nylon or polyester, for abrasion resistance.

Hoping to spend less than $500 with taxes and delivery.

Currently looking at the Olympia X-Moto, Rev'It Sand and Rev'it Cayan online but cannot find them locally. Anyone with experience with these or other touring/commuting jackets.

Last edited by fat_tony; 06-13-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:04 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought a Harley Heritage jacket while I am up here in Canada. Take out the liner when its hot.
Rode in 30F degree weather when it was cold.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:19 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After MANY jackets, My jacket of choice is now the Tourmaster 3/4 length transition jacket. I take the liner out for summer, run the liner for spring and fall and add a heated liner for winter. It's the only jacket I need. Plenty of usefull pockets, it even has a EZ-pass zippered pocket at the end of the sleeves!! I like how the collar fits around my neck without letting rainwater in. And it's very waterproof even in downpours. Very comfortable. I tried other textile jackets before this one but they all felt like there were little strips of sandpaper that irritated my arms and neck. The Tourmaster is nice. It is a Cordura style shell, it looks like it would hold up well in a slide if you went down. It cost me $149 about 5 years ago. I think they are around $200 now, well worth the money.

Last edited by BikerV; 06-13-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:25 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, definitely forget about leather. The light weight open knit textile jackets with armor in the elbow, shoulders and maybe back are the way to go. No need to spend fortune on them either imo.

I have both a First Gear that I picked up on sale for $70 and an HD that I got on sale for $100. Even they can get a bit uncomfortable on a hot day but it's bearable.

Opps.... I just caught that you wanted an all season coat. These wouldn't be good for winter. Don't have any recs for all season and imo opinion there is no such animal. I break out the leathers for winter.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:51 AM
sailnjay
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at the HD switchback jackets. I have the leather one and love it, they make a textile version as well. The outer shell of the jacket zips off so that it becomes a mesh jacket. The textile versions have a water removable waterproof liner as well.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:56 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My wife recently bought me a Fieldsheer Denim, and it's a really nice jacket. Has removable armour (which I did remove ), removable line, lots of pockets. It's well vented as well.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Field...Q5fMerchandise

Old 06-13-2010, 10:58 AM
rnothog
Tourer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

http://motogearoutlet.com/ and http://motoliberty.com/default.asp both have a good selection of textile jackets.

I have a Kilimanjaro Air by First Gear that is mesh and has a waterproof liner that keeps me warm down into the low 40's and is comfortable to about 90 with the liner out, as long as I'm moving. Hotter than that and...well...better to have the protection, so I generally wear a short mesh First Gear up to 100 degrees.

Olympia makes a better product, though...IMHO.

Last edited by rnothog; 06-13-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:22 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default jacket advice

Originally Posted by fat_tony
...I think I want an all season jacket because I ride in a lot of different weather conditions. It should be comfortable from 95F to 30F, so I think this rules out leather as I have not seen a leather jacket with that kind of adaptability and venting...

Hoping to spend less than $500 with taxes and delivery...
First, I believe you're on the right track, looking for a very modern approach, using composite materials and multiple interchangeable/convertible components, liners, removable pads and armor...; you may call this a 1-jacket solution to provide comfort over such a broad range of temperature and humidity/precipitation. In fact it is conceivable that you could go well beyond your hypothetical 30-95 degrees.

In reality it shows us that, just like with gloves, 1 jacket can't do it, but necessary are many "layered" components, each of which may be used alone, or with others, whether or not they are part of a commercial system.

Having been down at 55mph, I choose leather for my outer layer, even though the modern stuff may be scads better, but that's also because I'm an old fart who's always done it that way. My own principle jacket is an extra ordinarily heavy HD leather with elbow and shoulder pads and front and rear vents; size L weighs 6 3/4 # w/o its' liner! It is soooo comfortable, and is suitable for all but the very hottest and coldest weather.

For extremely hot weather I also have an incredibly light leather Heine-Gericke w/ full-length vents; this one replaced the damaged identical original which had previously saved my skin. It packs quite small so I always have it along when trekking the mountains and deserts around here.

Other layered items provide protection from rain, cold....I prefer to add a heavy fleece pullover as soon as the temp dips and, like Piney, I will have a heated jacket liner when it dips further. I'm still looking for a lightweight rain coverall to replace my foul-weather gear.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:49 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is about as close as you can get to what you describe. It's the jacket of choice for most LD riders.
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-s...en-jacket.html

Old 06-13-2010, 07:52 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,194 Likes on 1,269 Posts

Originally Posted by PineyRider
After MANY jackets, My jacket of choice is now the Tourmaster 3/4 length transition jacket. I take the liner out for summer, run the liner for spring and fall and add a heated liner for winter. It's the only jacket I need. Plenty of usefull pockets, it even has a EZ-pass zippered pocket at the end of the sleeves!! I like how the collar fits around my neck without letting rainwater in. And it's very waterproof even in downpours. Very comfortable. I tried other textile jackets before this one but they all felt like there were little strips of sandpaper that irritated my arms and neck. The Tourmaster is nice. It is a Cordura style shell, it looks like it would hold up well in a slide if you went down. It cost me $149 about 5 years ago. I think they are around $200 now, well worth the money.
Tourmaster is a good brand of jacket. I've got one as well.

Quick Reply: Jacket advice