General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference: Screamin' Eagle/Stock Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 04:34 PM
RadarRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference: Screamin' Eagle/Stock Muffler

The Harley catalog is my "bathroom reading" material & I just thumb through it now & then. I was looking @ the Screamin' Eagle section just to see how much slip-on mufflers are nowadays. What IS the difference between the stock Softail slash-cut shotguns on my Cross bones & the Screamin' Eagle mufflers??? The look like the same exact thing, heat shields & everything. The only thing different is the "Screamin' Eagle" font etched on the heat sheild. I'm actually a few checks away from some Vance & Hines Big Radius turn downs, but I can't imagine someone buying SE mufflers for their bikes if they already have them. Can anyone teach me somethin'?

Old 06-13-2010, 07:16 PM
RadarRider
Cruiser

No one?

Old 06-13-2010, 07:19 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,309 Likes on 2,356 Posts

To my understanding there is less baffling in the S/E mufflers allowing for greater exhaust flow and more sound(?). Many buyers of these mufflers aren't too satisfied.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:26 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Screamin' Eagle slip-on's I installed on my '09 were new take-off's. I was somewhat disappointed that they weren't a bit louder. They seem to get a little loud with time but still not what I was looking for.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:36 PM
RadarRider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
To my understanding there is less baffling in the S/E mufflers allowing for greater exhaust flow and more sound(?). Many buyers of these mufflers aren't too satisfied.
Originally Posted by bikes
The Screamin' Eagle slip-on's I installed on my '09 were new take-off's. I was somewhat disappointed that they weren't a bit louder. They seem to get a little loud with time but still not what I was looking for.
I don't know much about Screamin' Eagle muffler's quality, but I've heard a lot about people not being satisfied like you guys had said. I've seen bikes with Screamin' Eagle mufflers & they don't sound too much different than mine. So I was guessing the baffles are the only difference because the appearence is damn near identical. Thanks for the replies, buds!

Old 06-13-2010, 07:50 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got about 4000 on my SE's. Were not loud enough for me at first, but have gotten louder with the miles. Sound pretty good now, certainly louder than stock & not near as loud as my SEII's on my previous bike, which were too loud for me. I intend to keep 'em for now...

Old 06-13-2010, 07:56 PM
RadarRider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by streeteagle
I've got about 4000 on my SE's. Were not loud enough for me at first, but have gotten louder with the miles. Sound pretty good now, certainly louder than stock & not near as loud as my SEII's on my previous bike, which were too loud for me. I intend to keep 'em for now...
I'm not trying to insult you, but your bike in your sig pic has the SEs? My pipes look exactly like that, but of course with the stock baffles. I can't understand why Harley just doesn't sell the baffles instead of making you pay X amount of dollars more for a smaller baffle & "Screamin' Eagle" inscribed on the heat shield. You know what I mean? The V & H pipe are going to be the only non-HD accesory I put on my biek.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:09 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RadarRider
I'm not trying to insult you, but your bike in your sig pic has the SEs? My pipes look exactly like that, but of course with the stock baffles. I can't understand why Harley just doesn't sell the baffles instead of making you pay X amount of dollars more for a smaller baffle & "Screamin' Eagle" inscribed on the heat shield. You know what I mean? The V & H pipe are going to be the only non-HD accesory I put on my biek.
Yeah, that's them in the sig pic. My stocks were tapered & not slash downs.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:14 PM
Woody7
Cruiser

I've got SE slips. They did get a touch louder after a few miles,that's about it.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:20 PM
RadarRider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by streeteagle
Yeah, that's them in the sig pic. My stocks were tapered & not slash downs.
The bike looks sweet, though! I like it!

Originally Posted by Woody7
I've got SE slips. They did get a touch louder after a few miles,that's about it.
I guess that's my whole gripe about the SE mufflers; you pay so much money for almost nothing except for a little extra sound after a while. I don't like the fact that HD makes it sound like you get wicked sound & performance out of them. I like some Screamin' Eagle parts, but after doing some research & talking to people on this forum, I can't say they're telling the truth on all of their products.

Quick Reply: Difference: Screamin' Eagle/Stock Muffler