General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How easy can it be to steal a Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 11:45 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: How easy can it be to steal a Harley?

Sad but true, if anyone wants your bike bad enough, guess what? The two nights I spent at a motel in Lancaster County while going to the open house in York this week were no different. It is a place that the family and I have stayed at least 12 times before, great motel, well lit at night the hole bit. I had the fork lock on and a disc lock in the front rotor, but every time I got up during the night, I'd still peek outside just in case. force of habit I guess.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:59 PM
SquishFace
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: blzbro

Seen this idea on here a while back, best theft deterrent would be to get a Honda cover for your Harley
Well a generic bike cover is just common sense. Do you tell people what days your daughter is home alone also?

Old 09-30-2006, 01:35 PM
choppertime
Advanced

How easy? 4 guys and a truck in less then 60 seconds.

Old 09-30-2006, 03:58 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

One trick I learned that has worked for me is when parking overnight in a small town hotel.......is to park under the front portico in front of the registration area. Then I take a $20 bill and rip it in half.......give 1/2 half to the night desk clerk and tell him if the bike is still there at sun-up he gets the other half.........this has worked for me for years.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:16 AM
firestar99
Cruiser

When you go out to talk to the guys;Hopefully you can introduce him to another american icon the S&W . I would love to get in a gun fight with a guy carrying a pipe
ORIGINAL: ClinesSelect

Get the siren and pager for the alarm.

That way you can run out and confront the four guys with 8' sections of pipe...

Old 10-02-2006, 11:29 AM
jt1965
Road Captain

A friend of mine has the pepper spray fogger hooked into his garage alarm system. Once triggered it waits a few seconds and then fogs the entire garage with pepper spray.
That would pretty much send most theives packing. I use an alarm with pager and anti-hijack. As well as locking it with a huge chain and lock (not the round key). Also have motion sensor and perimeter alarm. But if they really wanted it they would get it anyways. That is why I have insurance. But If I had enough warning, I do have some non-lethals for my 12 gauge and let me tell you rubber 00 shot would hurt like hell.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:11 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

One trick I learned that has worked for me is when parking overnight in a small town hotel.......is to park under the front portico in front of the registration area. Then I take a $20 bill and rip it in half.......give 1/2 half to the night desk clerk and tell him if the bike is still there at sun-up he gets the other half.........this has worked for me for years.
I have done the same thing and works great, but I also warn him, "If the bike is not there tomorrow morning, you won't be loosing just half the bill, you will go home with half your privates as well"

Regards.