General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking the second day of MSF tomorrow advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:25 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont worry about it. Just take it one small step at a time and it will come to you.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:37 PM
oldmanwayne
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

hardest thing to do is to relax. If you can manage to not overthink the excercises you will get it quiker. Sometimes better to just do it without thinking about it to much.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:38 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,200 Likes on 3,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy Mullins
......I did make some newbie mistakes and drop the bike....twice .....
That's why you take the class. To learn how to drop someone else's motorcycle.

They don't teach you how to drop your own motorcycle, so you won't be able to do it.

You'll be fine.

When my wife took the class, I took it with her. She rode down with me on the back of my Road Glide. The instructor seemed to target me, and when it came time for the braking drills I just hammered those little brakes on the little 250cc bike for all they were worth and I was stopping on a dime before it was even minted. The instructor saw me and came over and told me I wasn't stopping smoothly enough.

When we got suited up to leave after he'd signed their Certificates, he shared more of his infinite wisdom with us when he told me my RG two-up would ride differently than the school's 250's riding solo. One of the other students said something like " we get to share all of this wisdom for only $275 ? Such a deal ! "

Old 01-22-2011, 10:40 PM
Smotheredhope
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait a second, (and honestly I am not talking **** here) you "dropped the bike twice" and you didnt get removed from the class?

By the way good luck tomorrow and just relax and pay attention and you will be fine

Old 01-23-2011, 04:37 AM
beaner
Tourer

Relax and be hydrated. As a rider coach, most people have problems from over thinking or trying too hard to get it right or getting mad they about not being perfect. What did they say about the second time you dropped a bike?

Dont forget what you learned is a foundation and you have to keep learning and improving skills.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:57 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 449 Likes on 244 Posts

It was the first time you did something..... you are learning new "skills".....take a deep breath, and relax. Pay attention to the instructors, and remember once you pass the test (license waiver not withstanding) you are only "qualified" to ride in circles in an empty parking lot.
Take the time to hone these beginner skills....this is just the first step in learning how to ride.
Have fun... enjoy the class... learning can be a LIFE-LONG process.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:17 AM
Jimmy Mullins
Advanced

Originally Posted by Smotheredhope
Wait a second, (and honestly I am not talking **** here) you "dropped the bike twice" and you didnt get removed from the class?

By the way good luck tomorrow and just relax and pay attention and you will be fine
I can't speak for other instructors, but mine were really cool about it, they run up checked on me, made sure the bike was ok of course lol, then explained me to what happened and how to prevent it. I call it a learning experience I'll never hammer the front brake when turning again that's for sure.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:44 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 110 Posts

Keep on practicing, it will come. You've got the right attitude to succeed.

Old 01-23-2011, 05:54 AM
Jimmy Mullins
Advanced

Originally Posted by skootchnc
It was the first time you did something..... you are learning new "skills".....take a deep breath, and relax. Pay attention to the instructors, and remember once you pass the test (license waiver not withstanding) you are only "qualified" to ride in circles in an empty parking lot.
Take the time to hone these beginner skills....this is just the first step in learning how to ride.
Have fun... enjoy the class... learning can be a LIFE-LONG process.
I definitely don't see me doing much more then riding in circles for awhile after I get a bike. There are some great backroads near my house with little to no traffic that I'll be riding on for awhile. Maybe to work in the mornings after I get a little more comfortable, leave a little early to get started before traffic because I only live 7 miles from my office.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:03 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You've learned alot already. That front brake is not your friend when steering the bike!

Quick Reply: Taking the second day of MSF tomorrow advice?