General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:38 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 241 Likes on 106 Posts

FWIW, I go by the owners manual. If the tire fails it won't be because of me trying to out smart the tire company or the motor company.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:34 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramez
What is the best tires air pressure for XL 883L - 19 inch Tire

The user manual says: 30 Front - 40 Rear
but everyone is telling me to go for 36 Front & 40 Rear.
My wife and I have been putting 40 and 40 in her 883 and my Softail (and my previous 1200) for about a year now. Works great. The mechanic who talked us into doing it, along with some other people, says the lower pressures are all about making the ride feel softer, while keeping it low (so the shocks have less travel, but the tires absorb some shock).

Old 02-23-2011, 04:09 PM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

we run 36 and 40 in wifey's superlow.. and 36 and 42 in my XR.. for whatever that's worth..

Old 02-23-2011, 04:41 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Go by the owner's manual. People running the max listed on the sidewall need to learn something about tires. That is max pressure, not recommended pressure. You run up around max if you are carrying a heavy load like on an eighteen wheeler or a motorhome, usually not on a motorcycle. I don't know, maybe these guys have real big OLs.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:44 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by handyhoward
Why would you NOT second guess what the manual says...... Don't put your trust in some damn book that was written by someone who never checks their tires ever...
does that count for torque values? or fluid levels? or valve lash? or... well you get my drift.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by handyhoward
Why would you NOT second guess what the manual says... millions of Ford Explorer owners followed their manuals right to the crash site. The tire has "max psi cold" written right on it. Most people in the know, run their tires at or just below this figure... it gives the best tire wear and performance. If you find that your front tire is spongy or cupping out, it is because you are running it with too little PSI. If you find your rear tire wearing extremely fast or your back end squirrelly on quick turns, you are running it at too low a PSI. Don't put your trust in some damn book that was written by someone who never checks their tires ever... check your tires everyday and go by your experience.

Millions??? C'mon dude, don't exagerate...

Cupping....low pressure??? no it's not...it's a suspension problem...

Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,307 Likes on 2,356 Posts

Adjust the air pressure when the tire is cold. Before first ride of the day.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:05 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

I have had good results on my bikes, cars and trucks using the suggested pressures that are in/on the manual and the stickers.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:04 PM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
[B][I][FONT=Comic Sans MS] I have nitrogen in car and truck and keep delaying changing over on my Heritage.
WHY do you see a need for nitrogen in a cars tires? The benefits IF any are so minimal for a car or bike that I laugh everytime I hear someone preach the gimmick. If you were needing it for a high performance race car in alot of competition it would be different. Aircraft use nitrogen because they operate in extreme conditions, and its important to have moisture free air. However I have also see regualr shop air used effectively with smaller planes.

To the OP, PS there si a great sportster section that has a ton of very knowledgeable people in it. Its prolly best to ask bike specific questions in the relevant forums. I've seen people that have never owned a sporty give extremely wrong info when asked in a general section.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:22 PM
WildBillHarley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Tire pressure

Actually on cars the correct pressure is listed on a tag inside the drivers door. Running your tire pressure near max cold is not smart. You will get better gas mileage but NOT BETTER PERFORMANCE!! The laws of physics shall not be ignored.

On bikes your traction and braking are your lifeline. Run pressures at recommended levels and dont be screwing around cause someone "told you" how you should run it.

Attached Thumbnails Tire Pressure Question-us-map.jpg   Tire Pressure Question-biketrip2010-005.jpg  

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Question