General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by handyhoward
Actually it is you that has been blinded by the light... along with thousands of Ford Explorer owners who are now dead or disabled because they followed what was printed inside the door of the car.

In addition... how does that little sticker inside the door or that little blurb inside your owners manual know what tire you are currently running on your vehicle. I am currently running Pirelli Night Dragons @ 48 psi front and 50 psi rear... my owners manual recommends 36 psi front and 36 psi rear... I'd be up **** creek if I ran at the psi's that are written in the book.

The rules have changed regarding what is the correct psi to run a tire... you should broaden your scope and update your lesson plans.

PS... the psi on the tire is max psi cold... the manufacturer knows that the tire will heat up and the psi will rise as well... doesn't change the fact that you can safely inflate the tire to max cold psi and be ok.
Please stop using Ford as an example. Air pressure was not their problem, it was the tires that came apart, from being a bad tire.

... doesn't change the fact that you can safely inflate the tire to max cold psi and be ok
Okay? Uncomfortable as hell is okay? Less traction is okay?

You know better than all the manufactures out there? I bow down to you.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:39 PM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Please stop using Ford as an example. Air pressure was not their problem, it was the tires that came apart, from being a bad tire.

John Lampe, Firestone's executive vice president, said, "Tires will fail, and do so for a number or reasons. In most cases, a vehicle that experiences a tire failure can be brought safely under control. However, we have seen an alarming number of serious accidents from rollovers of the Explorer after a tire failure."

One reason, Lampe suggested, was Ford's advice to inflate Explorer tires to 26 pounds per square inch, lower than Firestone's recommendation of 30 pounds and lower than the pressure recommended for other popular SUVs. The 26-pound level left "little safety margin," Lampe said. Heat that can cause a failure builds up faster in a flatter tire carrying a heavy load in hot weather. (Ford said 26 psi is safe but recently accepted Firestone's recommendation and increased the suggested tire pressure to 30 psi.)

Old 02-24-2011, 05:46 PM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed

The following is just Metzler... many other mfgs now are recommending the same thing. Discomfort is a state of mind... it's called road feel. Traction is determined more by rubber compound and how well a tire heats up to operating temperature than by air pressure.

"Metzeler North America has found the air pressure suggestions listed below will improve mileage and customer satisfaction especially if a emphasis is placed on running the air pressure towards the maximum as stated on the sidewall. Check cold tire pressures frequently. Correct tire pressure is crucial for safe handling. Over inflation may impair ride comfort and reduce the contact patch between the tire and driving surface of the tires. Insufficient air pressure will result in poor handling and cause a tendency for the motorcycle to "wander". In addition, improper and insufficient tire will cause accelerated tire wear, increased fuel consumption, less control and the possibilities for tire failure to due an overload/under inflated operating situation."

Old 02-24-2011, 05:56 PM
hoofnhog
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by chamokie
FWIW, I go by the owners manual. If the tire fails it won't be because of me trying to out smart the tire company or the motor company.
You'll be one non-outsmarted dead mother f_kr for sure!

Old 02-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by hoofnhog
You'll be one non-outsmarted dead mother f_kr for sure!
1) Consider the source. "John Lampe, Firestone's executive vice president, said,......" (He don't wanna be liable for all those deaths caused by his tires). But suspiciously there wasn't a problem with other tires.

2) I agree that Metzler's like higher pressure than the average tire. It's fairly common knowledge.
I won't run the too soft quick wearing pc's of crap.

But none of that changes the FACT that running at max psi is not what's optimal for handling and comfort.
I aired my car tires to max once and could feel every crack in the road until I corrected the mistake.

You think you are smarter then the engineers at ALL auto manufacturers? You stated that you consider the nameplate tire pressure recommendations all wrong? If your stupid theory were correct, don't you think YOUR numbers would be in the door jamb ID tag?

Last edited by Faast Ed; 02-24-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Handy,

Are you saying that a heavy vehicle and a light vehicle, running the same rubber, should both run the same PSI (max)?

Trying to get a feel here for just how deep your ignorance goes.