General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF Expert Rider Course

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:57 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Have Fun?

I too took the basic MSF course a few years back. Not to rain on your parade but IMHO you would be best served by getting some more time and miles under your belt. While I understand that you want to learn and rid yourself of any bad habits, you probably haven't experienced enough "situations" to warrant recurrency training. Screw the rest of the class. It wouldn't matter what they thought. From a students standpoint, I don't believe that you would have much fun. Get out there and ride! Give yourself a season or two and then go for recurrency training.
If you want to learn more right now you could purchase a Ride Like A Pro DVD / book set and read and watch and practice. In any case it's good to hear that you are interested in remaining safe. To many of us out there think we know it all.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:43 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

By all means take the "Experienced Rider Course" when you feel you are ready for more training.

The best thing about it, is that you ride your own motorcycle. That alone makes a world of difference in your confidence level out on the street.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:54 AM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the BIG difference in the Basic and Experienced class is the motorcycle

your basic has that light, nimble 250 with scratches all over it, now you are going to use your own bike.

I took the basic years ago and the wife took it last year, we went back to the parking lot where they teach the course and I had her try to do the same course she did very well on with that 250 and she couldn't do it without going outside the lines, and that was just the basic layout with no cones, I was able to do it, but I have been riding for 18 years and even with that, there were a few times that I was on the line completing the course.

I think to take it now is a waste of $$$ because with only 600 miles under your belt, there is really no way you will have the mastery of YOUR BIKE that you will need to take that course.

Of course, there is NEVER any harm in more skill training, but I wouldn't want you feeling like you wasted your $$$ right now

just my $.02

Old 06-29-2011, 10:41 AM
Big D Harley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I am with the minority, get a couple of thousand miles under your belt. I tooke it last year after 12000 miles and I was much more confident on my own bike then. It did remind me of things I had forgotten from my basic course. So it was good to to reinforce my skills at that time.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:41 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The experienced rider course is organized practice with your own bike. If you've mastered riding at slow speeds using the friction zone, you'll have no problems. The "Ride Like a Pro" video is basically the same course.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Coloradohunter
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So did you take it yesterday? How did it go?

I took the basic course back in April just to refresh after a 10+ year riding hiatus. Zipping around on the little Buell blast is a lot different than the Road King.

I'm scheduled to take the Experienced rider course in a couple weeks. (I've logged over 4000 miles since the April course so my confidence is pretty high).

I've also done some work with the Ride Like A Pro exercises but I'm nowhere near as smooth as I'd like to be on those maneuvers yet.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:06 PM
Belle
Intermediate
Talking Experienced Rider Course

I just finished the MSF Experienced Rider Course and loved it, I mean REALLY loved it! I am so glad I did it. It is EXACTLY like the basic rider course but on your own bike. The instructors were so understanding and helpful. The other guys in the class (I was the only girl) were so encouraging and understanding. I was a much better driver by the end of the day. I was flying through turns that I couldn't do at the beginning of the day without duckwalking my bike or putting a foot down. I had so much fun and even passed the exam at the end of the class (the military base where I took it requires an exam but I don't think it is MSF wide).

Old 06-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Hunter1979
Advanced

Hell take it now and take again, and then again if you want. And as the say the hell with what they think. If you only learn one thing when you take it, it's one more thing then if you would of not taken it. I have went to many trainings that i have gone to before and always gotten something out of it. Go learn and have fun!!!

Old 06-30-2011, 08:48 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 521 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Belle
I just finished the MSF Experienced Rider Course and loved it, I mean REALLY loved it! I am so glad I did it. It is EXACTLY like the basic rider course but on your own bike. The instructors were so understanding and helpful. The other guys in the class (I was the only girl) were so encouraging and understanding. I was a much better driver by the end of the day. I was flying through turns that I couldn't do at the beginning of the day without duckwalking my bike or putting a foot down. I had so much fun and even passed the exam at the end of the class (the military base where I took it requires an exam but I don't think it is MSF wide).

Plus one on this. I took the ERC and it is everything that you have learned in the BRC but in one day. Unfortunately for me it rained that day and was soaking wet at the end of the class. Your bike will take a beating from turning it on and off periodically.

The only issue I have is that you are practicing in a parking lot and if you think about it, what would you do in the real situation?

The best advice I have received was to look straight ahead no matter what the situation. Also having good periprehal view helps.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:05 PM
FLTR08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

The MSF Experienced Rider Course or ERC has changed to the MSF Basic Rider Course II. As programs and the MSF use up their old materials they will be changing the name. It is still the same course taken on your own bike but the name is more appropriate and there were other procedural considerations for the change. The MSF also offers several other courses like RRBRC or Returning Rider Basic Rider Course for people returning to riding after some time off.

The MSF now offers the Advanced Rider Course (ARC) a more advanced course. Also, Basic Bike Bonding and Ultimate Bike Bonding courses, similar to civilian police training. Some areas also offer a Street Riding Course (SRC) which is just what it says, a street riding class done with helmet radios. The Street Rider course is geared to new riders but the others ARC, BB, and UBB are advanced courses and require a fairly high level of skill before taking them. Contact the MSF for more information.

Quick Reply: MSF Expert Rider Course