General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you under 30? Why'd you get a Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 01:04 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i wanted a harley since i was real little.used to get easyrider mags and part catalogs and plan out building a bike when i was 10(you could build a complete custom shovelhead bike then for $4k)..i got my first actual HD when i was 21yo,69 sportster ridged chopper..had a sx250 and a 37 knuckle roller frame that never made it any further when i was 18

Old 07-08-2011, 02:08 AM
JulioHDSpain
Novice
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Yes I am! I'm 26, from Spain, and I've just bought a Fatboy 98'.

I always liked motorcycles, specially HD... I remember when I was young and I saw lots of Harleys parked in front of a rock bar here in Spain... I told myself "I've to come back here in future, with a HD"...

Some years after that, I got the drivin' license (It's veeery hard and expensive to get here in Spain), and I've been thinking about buy a Sportster Iron, or a Nightster... But when I saw my Fatboy... I completly felt in love with it

Cheers from Spain!

Old 07-08-2011, 06:40 AM
osirisdean
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i had (and still have) two metric cruisers and a vtwin sportbike before i bought the nightster. harley davidson has never (and will never) hold any sway over me in terms of brand loyalty, honestly. the reason i bought the nightster is because it was the first bike theyve put out that (in my opinion) both looked nice and would be a good platform for customization. i didnt psychoanalyse it much beyond that. i do really enjoy the nightster, but it's not *because* it's a harley, it just happens to be one. if that makes any sense.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:46 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MAKER
Settle a bet guys. Are younger riders getting into HD because it's old school cool and tight bikes, or because everyone and their mom has a rocket, and it's just a different personal style and tight bikes?

Or is it something different altogether?

MAKER
I would say yes to all of the above. What does tight mean? I guess I'm an older guy with a Harley.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:01 AM
oldnewbikes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my first Harley, a Low Rider, when I was 26. A year later I bought a Road Glide and still have them both. I grew up around bikes and worked in a dealership for a while before I bought my own. Never had a crotch rocket but did have an old *** CB750.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:10 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not under 30, but I wanted Harley, and only Harley (well, maybe Indian) since I was old enough to know what a motorcycle was. When I was in elementary school I was collecting Harley/chopper trading cards and putting together model kits and buying Evel Knievel stunt cycles, etc. I have disliked sport bikes and sportbikers since I first saw one. However, I never had the money for a motorcycle until I was given a Honda in my 20's, then I was given another Honda a few years later. I didn't get around to a Harley until I was 40+. However, the whole time I wanted a Harley because that's the type of biker and biker culture I liked - at any age, I considered sportbikes and the people who ride them a short step above nerds on scooters.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:40 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
I'm not under 30, but I wanted Harley, and only Harley (well, maybe Indian) since I was old enough to know what a motorcycle was. When I was in elementary school I was collecting Harley/chopper trading cards and putting together model kits and buying Evel Knievel stunt cycles, etc. I have disliked sport bikes and sportbikers since I first saw one. However, I never had the money for a motorcycle until I was given a Honda in my 20's, then I was given another Honda a few years later. I didn't get around to a Harley until I was 40+. However, the whole time I wanted a Harley because that's the type of biker and biker culture I liked - at any age, I considered sportbikes and the people who ride them a short step above nerds on scooters.

I'm also not under thirty, but have wanted a Harley for as long as I can remember. Growing up in Britain, they were few and far between and achieved an almost mythical status in my head. I have a dim memory of seeing what was probably an FL of some sort in my home town. It seemed so... majestic.

Now, there's no shortage of finely engineered motorcycles out there but only HD make ones that have that certain something. As easy as it is to knock the MoCo for being a seller of clothes and knick-knacks (the whole "lifestyle" thing) there is something to the legendary status of Harley-Davidson. For me, nothing else even comes close.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Irontater
Intermediate

Im 29 and just got my first Harley Iron 883. I have always liked sportys and the Iron appealed to me enough to buy it.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:32 AM
poisonthesteve
Tourer

I'm under 30. 22 to be exact. I got a Harley for many reasons.

Not in any particular order:

-The sound
-As gay as it sounds, the history behind Harley was a big factor
-Not huge into ricers.. ridden a couple and I just don't like the riding position.
-The fact that I can take my bike and customize the living **** out of it if I so desire

That basically sums it up for me.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:42 AM
TNReb
Advanced

I'm 30. I bought my first motorcycle ever about a month ago. I've only road two different motorcycles in my life - a Sportster Low 1200, and Softail Heritage.

I had no desire for a sport bike or touring bike. I wanted a cruiser and wanted that "sound". Honda/Yamaha simply didn't offer anything I liked.

Quick Reply: Are you under 30? Why'd you get a Harley?