General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My situation with question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:08 PM
rallevar
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My situation with question...

So here's the situation. The lack of rain where I live has prompted the city government to impose "water nuisance" laws which includes "...washing of any vehicle on residence driveways is prohibited." So I'm thinking of rolling my softail onto my lawn during my assigned lawn watering day and time and washing it then. Here's my question: Would anyone on here know if the various vehicle washing detergents are harsh enough that they will harm my lawn? Or, does anyone know of a vehicle detergent that will not harm my lawn? Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt you will get around the ticket... I've never seen grass die from soap before. When I backwash my pool it goes straight on the lawn and everything is fine there. Not that I expect chlorine or bleach to be present in car wash detergent but if that don't kill it I doubt any cleaning product (besides tar remover) will kill it.

Fill a bucket with suds and dump it on an inconspicuous part of your lawn first as a test.

Last edited by Jags93; 07-20-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:26 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Growing up, we always washed our cars in the lawn and mixed up a bucket of soapy water using dish washing detergent. Never had a problem with the grass.

Unless my bike is terribly dirty, I normally just take a bucket of clear water and a sponge to wash it and do it in the garage out of the sun.

I live 20 miles away. One good thing about the drought, I don't have to mow the grass as often. ha!

Old 07-20-2011, 01:30 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

We have pretty strict water restrictions sometimes too. Finally switched my front yard into a zero scape. No more watering the "barely hanging on cuz you can only water this day and that day" grass. Glad it's gone and saving on the water bill. We live in a desert anyway, why not look the part?

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 07-20-2011, 01:31 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A good car wash detergent is pretty mild anyway. Should be fine. Now if yo had a lot of oil that washed off that may do something. I spilled a small amount of gas when filling the lawnmower and it left a little spot, but grew back eventually

Old 07-20-2011, 01:35 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't know how the local law would look at it, but if you do it, you could use something like Simple Green.

It's popular with boaters because they can just spray it off the deck and the marina ***** don't mind. It's non-toxic and biodegradable.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:42 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

Some master gardeners actually recommend using a mixture of Soap, ammonia, Beer, and even chewing backa mixed in Ur hose sprayer to use for natural fertilizers sprays.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:02 PM
MrMojo
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I found a car wash near where I work. Drive in, put in two tokens ($2) grab the nozzle off the wall and I have three minutes to wet the bike, cover it in S100 and rinse it off. I then roll it into the parking lot and wipe it down. Chamois and S100 fit in the saddlebags.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Just use some Lemon Pledge

Old 07-20-2011, 03:17 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by rallevar
So here's the situation. The lack of rain where I live has prompted the city government to impose "water nuisance" laws which includes "...washing of any vehicle on residence driveways is prohibited." So I'm thinking of rolling my softail onto my lawn during my assigned lawn watering day and time and washing it then. Here's my question: Would anyone on here know if the various vehicle washing detergents are harsh enough that they will harm my lawn? Or, does anyone know of a vehicle detergent that will not harm my lawn? Thanks in advance for any info.
Normal car washing detergent will not harm your lawn.
I wouldn't use any strong degreasers though.
As someone else stated, Simple Green won't cause any damage either.

Just don't dump a whole bottle of it out in one spot.

Quick Reply: My situation with question...