General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Jacket

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 01:31 PM
Pat
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding Jacket

My wife is now interested in mortorcycles now that I have an old Softail - bless her heart! Up to now I've been riding with an old flight jacket, last time at the dealer she heads right over to the racks and picks out a somewhat subdued HD leather jacket with shoulder, elbow and back inserts and asked if I'd like it for early christmass present. What are your opinions on armoured jackets?

Pat

Old 07-21-2005, 01:51 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 148 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: Riding Jacket

IMO, The armoured jackets aren't necessary unless you ride a crotch rocket, however you can't be too safe. Nobody plans ahead on going down and the leathers alone will give you good protection againse road rash without the armour, but that's JMHO

Old 07-21-2005, 02:05 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've found them a little hard to move in. Plus, I'm way too tight to buy an HD jacket. My leather riding jacket, I bought at a rally for $100. It has a thinsulate removeable liner and all the snaps, zippers, vents and stuff. It was made in China but so are the HD ones.

Old 07-21-2005, 02:15 PM
dynamac
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have one of the HD jackets with the armour. All the pads are removable to lighten up the jacket. I went down once and the jacket I wore really saved me. No road rash on my upper body at all. I don't have any problem moving in it. The pads are really easy to take out.

Old 07-21-2005, 04:16 PM
Anniesage
Road Master

Seeing that I am not an experienced rider - a full 1,800 miles lifetime total under my tires, I feel more secure in having armor. If the jacket fits right, you really don't notice it when riding. I have a removable full armour jacket and pants that have thinsulate lining and a rain liner for cold/wet weather riding that I got from First Gear at the "oh my gosh" Honda store. I also got my mesh summer jacket there that has removable wind liner and removable armor in the back, shoulders and elbows... I do have a medium weight black leather HD jacket with thinsulate lining that has no armor but I could get it if I wanted to.

Honestly, being inexperienced and still learning, that body armor has 'saved' me a few times when I laid her and slid even going at low speeds (or in my case, twice, no speeds) The amount of damage to me was basically soreness because the armour absorbed the fall. And because I want to look half way decent at 65, I am trying to hedge my bets by wearing it.

It is a personal thing - but for me, being newbie - I feel a teeny tiny bit safer.

Old 07-21-2005, 04:51 PM
Pat
Road Master

Anniesage,

I'm sure you don't need to make any effort at all to look "half way" decent at 65. I tip my hat to you. I hope I still have the spunk and courage to take on new challenges when I'm 65. I'm not there just yet, but it's coming fast!

Pat

Old 07-21-2005, 05:24 PM
2_up_FXDI
Cruiser

well, I guess I'm either brave or dumb... lol, all I wear in "cool" weather is a long sleeve shirt but in hot weather i wear a sleeveless shirt. But I ALWAYS have my leather vest on.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:11 PM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Please don't take this the wrong way, I think you should wear whatever you want on a motorcycle, helmet included,(or not). BUT you SHOULD ALWAYS plan on going down! That's why we have safety gear, you can't predict if you will fall. And I have to point out that the pavement is just as hard under a Harley as it is under a "crotch rocket". Like Annie said, just falling in a parking lot the right gear helps.
It's better to have it and not need it that to need it and not have it!

DC.
ORIGINAL: TCSTD

IMO, The armoured jackets aren't necessary unless you ride a crotch rocket, however you can't be too safe. Nobody plans ahead on going down and the leathers alone will give you good protection againse road rash without the armour, but that's JMHO

Old 07-23-2005, 02:23 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

Buddy of mine has one of the mesh jackets with the padding. He likes it, and thinks it's cooler with the jacket on as it keeps the sun off his skin, but breathes, and it affords him protection. He calls himself a wimp, he always wears a full faced helmet, leather bottoms, and a jacket. He's probably going to live longer than me.

Try it on...if you like it, why wouldn't you wear it if it's comfy and functional?

Mac

Old 07-29-2005, 02:09 AM
jrp
Cruiser

I just bought 2 First Gear Kilimanjaro Air jackets. They have zip out water proof linings that we haven't used yet. They are ballistic nylon mesh shell with removable armor. There is an excellent air flow for hot weather. We are both happy that we made the investment.

Quick Reply: Riding Jacket