General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in Mexico a good or bad idea?

Old 03-02-2012, 03:19 PM
MikeySom
Road Captain

Received 345 Likes on 150 Posts

Mexico is the most corrupt country you can ride in save the riding for when your home ....If the president of mexico lived in the USA he would be cutting your grass.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:26 PM
RGarcia
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just got back from that very area a week ago and I told my wife I'd never ride a bike there. Traffic and the drivers are horrendous!

Old 03-02-2012, 03:29 PM
fxdsegrl
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
My wife and I will be spending a week in Mexico this summer, specifically in the Playa del Carmen area on the Yucatan Peninsula. I am toying with the idea of renting a Harley (there are several places in Playa) for a day or two and exploring on the bike. Have any of you had experience doing that in that area? I've heard the Yucatan is safer for Americans than some other parts of Mexico. Is that true? I also just read something that says that US motorcycle insurance is not good down there and you need Mexican insurance?

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

PS--My wife and I only speak a few words of Spanish.
We just got back from here 3 weeks ago and also spent a week there. We stayed at an all inclusive place (awesome by the way) and felt totally safe. http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Revi...Peninsula.html

On one of the days we looked at renting a Harley to go down the coast but we would've had to go to Cancun to get it. We were about 30 mins from there. It was too much anyway...around $175 per day I think.

Instead the 2 of us rented a cab, driver and all for the day. 8-5 pm. Total price $160.00 USD. He didnt speak much english and we didnt speak any Spanish but it still worked. AC was nice too. He was a pretty good guide.

We didnt want to go inland too far because of many of the reasons mentioned here. I think if you stay on the coast between Cancun and Tulum you'll be okay as it is mostly resorts dotted along the coastline and likely safer with many tourists.

We did Cancun, Playa de Carmen, the ruins at Tulum and some really cool cave exploration as well. This took the whole day.

If you choose to go the cab route, you should approach one of the cabs associated with a resort. They park outside of the resort gates until they're called. You can hire then directly and you can probably find one at any of the resorts. You will make their day if you hire them for the day day.

Good luck and have fun. Its a beautiful place.

http://www.virtualmex.com/mayan_riviera_map.htm

Old 03-02-2012, 04:15 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best of luck whatever you decide! Make an informed decision, plan accordingly and live your life with no regrets.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:17 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

If it is such a great place why the hell are so many people leaving? I'd spend my money in the states.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:25 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best of luck whatever you decide! Make an informed decision, plan accordingly and live your life with no regrets.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:28 PM
funnythebunny
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As avid divers, there's no nicer place than Cozumel, but it's not a party town. There's also not much tourist attractions unlike the mainland. A $15 ferry to mainland and a tour bus to Chichen Itza was a great getaway.

BTW, if you think you encounter a gangster, even if you don't know spanish, these will help you to communicate...
Riding in Mexico a good or bad idea?-a8xjf.jpg

Old 03-02-2012, 05:33 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Was thinking about doing a quick ride into Mexico since we'll be right on the border on our AZ trip. I read the U.S. Advisory on travel, and will take a pass.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:55 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

I'm in Mexico right now (Isla Mujera) and tomorrow we are renting a....golf cart! Buzzing around on golf carts seems to be the thing to do here on this tiny island. This place is pretty awesome.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:17 PM
streetglidetroy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id stay away from renting there, theyre horrible drivers!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Riding in Mexico a good or bad idea?