General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High speed wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Crash75
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High speed wind noise

I ride with a half helmet most of the time so my ears are exposed to the wind all the time. The wind noise gets too loud and I find that when I stop for a break, my ears are ringing from the noise. I try to use earplugs but they are a pain in the a$$ most of the time. I do not want to go deaf so I and considering going with a full face helmet as they are pretty quiet. Just curious what others do to reduce the wind noise, if anything.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:33 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A proper fitting helmet helps. And ear plugs. If you ignore this, you'll eventually need hearing aids.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:49 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Ear plugs. Find a style and type that are comfortable for you.

BTW: some 1/2 helmets come with ear flaps and 3/4 helmets are in between 1/2 and full face. A windshield also will quiet the wind noise but you will hear more of the engine noises.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ear plugs regardless of shield or no. My hearing's about shot, so I need to keep what I have left. Tip: give yourself a wet ***** with your pinky and the earplugs will seal real nice.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:00 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
Ear plugs. Find a style and type that are comfortable for you.

BTW: some 1/2 helmets come with ear flaps and 3/4 helmets are in between 1/2 and full face. A windshield also will quiet the wind noise but you will hear more of the engine noises.
I don't recommend ear flaps on 1/2 buckets unless you have a windshield. Without a windshield, the wind will create a pretty loud "roar" as it gets forced between the ear flap and the side of your head at speeds above ~45-50 mph.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:07 PM
BeauJames
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ear plugs are alot more comfortable than hearing aids and are a hell of a lot cheaper too. Keep ignoring the ringing and one day it doesn't go away. Then it's too late and hearing aids won't get rid of it either. Protect your hearing now before it's gone.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:21 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
A proper fitting helmet helps. And ear plugs. If you ignore this, you'll eventually need hearing aids.
Absolutely effing right you will. I worked in printing most of my life. It's prolonged exposure to high frequency noise that does the worst damage. Anything over 80 DB - like wind noise. That ringing and temporary hearing loss that you are already experiencing after a ride will take longer and longer to go away and eventually over time it won't go away at all - perminant damage. Ear plugs a pain in the ***? I think not, but I used to. Perminantly damaged hearing? Total pain in the ***.
I never ever ride with out my ear phones or some ear plugs - trying to conserve what little hearing I have left - docs say about 50% gone. Trust me, it sucks.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Ear plugs or iPod (not sure that will help not going deaf).

Old 03-27-2012, 12:41 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

I stopped wearing my half helmet mostly because I like my Bell 500 more. It's a 3/4 and really cuts down on the wind noise. I don't know if I could wear my full face in the heat of the summer. However, if I'm out for an extended ride I will use ear plugs with the Bell.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:42 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Ear plugs x100

There are more than a few types. Keep trying until you find one that is the most comfortable.
Look at these:

http://www.etymotic.com/hp/er20.html

They reduce sound by about 20db. That approximately 1/4 or 75% less. The one thing they do is let you still hear ambient sounds around you. You know, the cagers. These will save your hearing while preserving your awareness to what's around you. I'd get the corded ones because they're less likely to get lost.

As I said, there are several to choose from, just be careful not to seal out everything.

Quick Reply: High speed wind noise