General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD rain gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts
Default HD rain gear

I am thinking about upgrading my rain gear. Currently have Tourmaster basic rain suit, but it doesn't have a heat shield on the legs. Haven't melted it yet but just a matter of time. It's also black/silver and I want high vis wear. The HD site lists the pants as having heat shield. Is it a leather patch or nomex one. How is the sizing? Is it sized to go over bulky jacket and pants or instead of. My TM can go over a not-so-thick jacket and have not used them when it's cold.

Any current users rate it for durability, and "non-leaking" quality?

Old 07-26-2012, 01:49 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a hi-vis set, and it is the best rain gear I have ever owned. I am not big on most Harley-branded gear, but, as far as I am concerned, the rain gear is top notch.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:54 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

I finally broke down last summer and purchased the Harley H-Vis suits for myself and GF. Size for me ran true( ie I wear a Medium and it fits over my leather jacket with ample room and chaps sometimes in the pants). The heatshield is nomex I think. The leg zippers open all the way to the knees which is good. No leaks but they do get warm as the ventilation is what it is. I had FroggToggs before and you couldnt beat them for ventilation but they sure melted fast! LOL!

Old 07-26-2012, 01:56 PM
doctorharrison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scoteh
I have a hi-vis set, and it is the best rain gear I have ever owned. I am not big on most Harley-branded gear, but, as far as I am concerned, the rain gear is top notch.
Ditto.

I bought a size large enough to wear over full leathers with layers beneath. Just try them on for sizing (if between sizes, go larger - last thing you'd want is to feel constricted (it'll seem hot/humid enough) or restricted in movement. Protection from the rain is great.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:32 PM
Big E1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hd rain gear high quality and true to size

Old 07-28-2012, 12:02 AM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Last Friday I rode in the rain with a new Hi visibility HD rain suit. Within the first 15 minutes I was quite wet. Stopped at Harley Dealer about an hour into my trip (bought the suit at this dealer) and walked in and asked if I had it on wrong. Turns out I had it on right and then went to change clothes and the clothes I was wearing were ringing wet. They upgraded me to the next best suit at no charge.... the next 2 hours I stayed dry in the rain.

Found out later form workers at a dealer in Carlisle, Pa, there was a recall on the hi vis suit last year. I wonder if I got one that slipped through.

The one they upgraded me to has the skulls on it. I rather have the black and orange for visible aspect but thinking I should maybe keep the skull one because I KNOW it kept me dry.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:47 AM
Hog Heaven
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on Harley rain gear. As previously mentioned, I'm not always sold on Harley this or that, but their rain gear is top notch.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:19 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

I have a cheap pair of plastic over pants and a well oiled and maintained leather jacket and vest. Been caught in some real downpours and ride in generally cruddy weather on a regular basis, and haven't suffered too badly as yet. It'll do for me until I can afford better gear.

That said, my buddy has the hi vis HD rain gear, says its great, and I gotta admit the Hi vis aspect in crappy weather is a big plus.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:57 AM
LoveHate
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After 10 days riding, 10 days cold rain in Central Europe and the Alps this spring ... I already know ... suit is not so important, each costing over $ 50 and is produced specifically for the motorcyclist will do.
I have 2 costumes ... one manufactured in Taiwan for $ 50 and Icon PDX, which costs $ 250. Exactly the same protection from rain and cold... Icon PDX is more cool ... but $ 200 for prints ... I think that this is a high price for 2-3 printed logos.

Guys, most important are gloves! No motorcycle gloves that can withstand 10-12 hours incessant rain. Frozen hands are much more uncomfortable than wet ***.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:10 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Had the Hi-viz and wasn't impressed....got wet more than once and they take up a lot of room on long trip (2 sets).

I went to the cheaper pancake roll up HD suit and it keeps you dry. Cheaper in this case was better....They were $99... now there up to about $120 or something and take up half the space....my 2 cents

Quick Reply: HD rain gear