General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

amf?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:50 PM
oakley
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amf?

Is there a way to know if a shovel is 1978 or the 1978 1/2? It has been awhile. Actually, a shameful while, and I need to get my hands on a service manual. They want this info and I don't have a clue. Anyone help? I have a shop built and was needing to know. thank you!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:01 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: amf?

Get the VIN# and see if you can come up with a build date.

Joe
[&:]

Old 03-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Roses
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I know about a 78 HD is that nothing from any other year model will fit a 78. If you haven't already purchased one I would urge caution. If you have purchased one, I would urge you to move forward slowly and shop around for everything to get the best prices.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:12 AM
oakley
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the bike. It was built by one of "you" guys andwas awesome. I needed to do some repairs back 12 years ago, but kids and marriage came along so it has been "boxed" for a long time. I want to get it together, but do not have the network and forgot most of what I learned. That is why I am in big trouble. Any links? Basics even will help get my head in gear. thanks, annie

Old 03-22-2007, 12:47 AM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, 78 was the year that there was a change in the transmissions and early had a ratchet top trans, late (78 1/2) had the cowpie trans. There may have been a couple of other changes, but they were minor as I recall. I believe that most parts(chassis wise, not motor) will interchange from 1968 to 1984. That is all assuming an FX or FL (your post didn't say). If its a sportster then I don't believe there was an early and a late. In the sportster line, 1979 was a one of a kind bastige child that had quite a few one year only parts. Good luck on the build, you will have lots of fun with it when done, I had a 79 FXS for 12 years, and could kick myself for ever selling that bike. These new bikes are fantastic, hit the button and ride, don't worry about breakdowns, but they just don't have the soul or personality that the older bikes do.

Teu

Old 03-22-2007, 01:02 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

The E78 models had points ignition. Late '78shad the electronic version. Also, the late models had rubber band manifold gaskets instead of the o-ring version. The cow-pie tranny happened in mid '79, not mid '78.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:14 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

78 1/2 had electronic ignition. Earlier model had points and condenser.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:50 AM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

ORIGINAL: pococj

The E78 models had points ignition. Late '78shad the electronic version. Also, the late models had rubber band manifold gaskets instead of the o-ring version. The cow-pie tranny happened in mid '79, not mid '78.
My bad..........Been a lotta years and a lotta beers, the memory is not what it used to be........................and thinking back on it, I'm remembering that the electronic ignition was the second thing to get jettisoned on my 79 after I bought it, the first being the electric starter.

Teu

Old 03-22-2007, 05:34 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oakley, jump over to the Shovelhead section of the forum. Lots of knowledge in there.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:20 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: oakley

I have the bike. It was built by one of "you" guys andwas awesome. I needed to do some repairs back 12 years ago, but kids and marriage came along so it has been "boxed" for a long time. I want to get it together, but do not have the network and forgot most of what I learned. That is why I am in big trouble. Any links? Basics even will help get my head in gear. thanks, annie
http://forums.delphiforums.com/*********/messages

Here is a link to a forum with some very sharp folks and many of them are big shovel fans. If they can't help you, nobody can!

Quick Reply: amf?