General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve stem core failure(?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 09:24 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Valve stem core failure(?)

An acquaintance of mine went down pretty hard about a month ago, nothing life-threatening but painful, and his bike FXD (2009, I think) had major damage. I had the chance to talk with him yesterday about the accident, and he told me that the official cause was a "catastrophic deflation of the front tire" apparently caused by the valve stem core backing out and/or blowing out (when the bike was checked over after the wreck the core was missing, so it took the blame).

Anybody here ever had a core fail? I haven't, but if that were to happen, would metal valve stem caps prevent or at least slow down that sort of failure? I'm sure the typical cheap plastic caps would just pop off immediately.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:49 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Never heard of that before, lve had the inner tube split quite badly around the valve stem just caused the steering to get heavy as it went down.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:50 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i always run metal valve caps, also replace the valve cores on each tire change

Old 03-06-2014, 11:09 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Just a thought maybe he over pressurised the tyre.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:28 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

For the core to be missing, it would have had to have been unscrewing itself for a while. This is usually preceeded by the tire showing leakage! It is a good practice to replace the complete stem EVERY tire change, always check air pressure regularly and often overlooked, make sure you have a valve cap on the valve!

I have been in the automotive trade for 38 years and have never even heard of a valve core "missing", by blowing out. Glad to hear your friend is OK. The outcome could have been far worse.

BTW - over pressurizing the tire would blow the tire out WAY before a valve failure!

Last edited by jeffreydsilver; 03-06-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:36 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

I have seen cores go out on cager tires before. Usually because they were never changed out. After the driver complaining about tire going low repeatedly I searched for a leak and that was the last place to look.
Like everyone else has said here change out the valve stems. Also, if you are messing with the valves yourself be gentle and make sure you don't cross thread them or damage them.
Hope your friend has a speedy recovery.

Last edited by BigDogIdaho; 03-06-2014 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 03-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Never seen or heard of a core suddenly unscrewing itself quickly enough you would have a sudden tire delflation.

When you get home, take your core out and sit on your bike until the tire goes flat. It takes a while.

And, as others have said, it would have been leaking slowly for a time while the core worked itself loose. There should have been plenty of warning.

So the theory that the core suddnely came out at or about the time the valve cap also came off to allow it to suddenly deflate fast enough that a rider did not know it was happening and did not give him enough time to safely pull to a stop...

A stretch,,,, very thin...

Last edited by Jonesee; 03-06-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,872 Likes on 1,490 Posts

No way it could cause a catastrophic deflation.

Even if the Schrader core blew out completely, with no warning, which is highly unlikely, the tire would still take several seconds to deflate.

Even a plastic tire stem cap would prevent that scenario from happening. I have seen plastic caps hold pressure far higher than is in a tire.

Now if he hit an object hard enough it might cause that type of failure, but there would most likely be rim and tire damage as well.

Most times the accident isn't investigated to that level unless there is a possible lawsuit involved. Accidents investigations I have seen are just damage assessments for insurance coverage. The cause isn't usually made "official" because, in the case of your buddy, he could now sue a tire manufacturer, or the last shop that worked on the tire. The insurance company won't want to defend that in a lawsuit, so the cause is usually much broader such as "rider error" or "mechanical malfunction"