General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which glasses?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 04:39 PM
rickdavis
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which glasses?

I've had a pair of HD's light adjusting glasses for a couple of years and they've quit adjusting. I never thought they got dark enough either. I can't remember which ones they were but they were about the most expensive in the case, $140ish I believe. I'm thinking about going with the Wiley X brand. I want something smaller than the one's I had, they seemed huge. I'd prefer the rubber gasket over the foam and preferable to last longer than 2 seasons. I don't mind spending $150 or more if they work great. Are they Wiley's better? Is that just the life expectancy of LA lenses? Any suggestions? Thanks

Old 03-27-2014, 04:43 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

I've had a pair of Wiley X motorcycle sunglasses and couldn't be more happy with them. I've had them for about 5 years with absolutely no problems. They are beginning to suffer from normal wear and tear so I may replace them soon, I'm sure to replace them with another pair of Wiley X.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:58 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've experimented with so many glasses over the years it's crazy. I've had the HD, Panoptx and Wileyx. The light changing glasses just don't get dark enough for bright sunlight so that was a bust. Now I just carry two pair - one set of dark for the day and an extra set for night riding. I prefer the glasses with the foam rim for the extra wind protection but they tend to fog a lot if you get caught in the rain. You can buy some nice wrap-around glasses without the foam for $20. Just make sure they fit your face good and will work almost as good as the expensive foam glasses - plus you can pull them away from your face during wet weather to keep from fogging. I've spent hundreds of $$ over the years on glasses and now I run with two cheap pairs of HD wrap-arounds. You just have to figure out what works for you.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:01 PM
rickdavis
Advanced

I've done the 2 pair thing before. It's nice because the dark are darker and the clear are better than the LA glasses for night. But with the shifts I work it seems I'm always needing something in the middle for to and from work.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:10 PM
pmr
Stage IV

Check out Icicles and Infernos. Bought a pair of each at Bike Week. Like them so much better than my Wiley X HDs.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:18 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,626 Posts

I didn't care for WileyX glasses because they actually had too much give to them and distorted my vision w/helmet on (sorry). It was like the "fish bowl" effect which was semi-nauseating. I have two pairs of Liberty Sport prescription shades (Chopper & Free Spirit) and they are both equally awesome. Not a salesman at all...simply satisfied customer. Never heard of this brand before, but they sell at our Military Sales Optical Shop so thought I'd give them a try...good stuff!

http://www.libertysport.com/eyewear/...rformance.html

Old 03-27-2014, 07:29 PM
gerjets
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts