General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Throttle Body Intake Valve Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 06:21 PM
petejoe43
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Throttle Body Intake Valve Noise

Own a 12 Ultra 103" with a recent Stage 2 install including 2.5" baffles, 2-1-2 Rush headers minus Cat, Andrews 57H cams, and an S&S stealth intake. The bike performs better than expected, and this noise is minor to the point that you have to get your head down to Rocker Box level to hear it. There is a definite "clack/clack/clack" coming from the butterfly valve behind the new air cleaner. I removed the cover/filter and lightly tapped on the valve with engine off. Sure enough, that is in fact the noise. This is one of the most quiet 103"'s I've ever heard overall, but the clack clack is on my nerves.

Has anyone with a Stage 2 experienced this? Like I said, it's not noticeable unless you get down close. However, the aluminum intake plate tapping against the aluminum throttle body housing is most definitely the problem. I say this because I'm sure many have experienced this who must have thought the noise was coming from pushrods/rockers. It's not, it's the butterfly valve on the throttle body. I know what you guys are thinking......dude you're whining, just live with it. And I'm prepared to live with it, I'm posting this primarily to see who's found a fix for this or attempted one? The first thing that comes to mind is a rubber/plastic gasket to wrap around the valve....that would do the trick. But as far as I know, no such fix exists. I'm not going to dwell on it.......I'm sure someone here has taken a stab at this.....surely

Old 03-02-2017, 07:38 PM
Rumblin
Supporter
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I am not sure I had the noise you are describing. I had a larger intake\throttle body installed. If I pushed the throttle hard closed, it would go away. What I did to fix it was I use the set screw on the TB and crack it open until the I could push the throttle closed and it wouldn't change the sound. That did it. I surmise that the air crack was such that the butterfly was fluttering.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rumblin:
LenBoyLo (07-30-2023), M Oclaf (07-31-2023)
Old 03-02-2017, 07:44 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Typically it's not the butterfly valve itself, but "intake reversion".... sounds like someone in there tapping on a little wooden drum. The open AC lets the sound out that the stocker was covering up. The 57H cam is known for making the noise worse. (I run one too)

For a short time I ran a Ness Big Sucker open back AC, but couldn't take the noise & went back to stock.

It's one case where they really all do that.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 03-02-2017, 08:49 PM
Uncle Fuzzy
Road Captain
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

Just installed stage 2 Andrews 48 on an 08 SG and having the same issue. I played around a bit w settings on FP3 and it got worse when hot idle was lowered to 900 rpm. Reset to 1000(default) and it helped but it's still there.
Really annoying.

Subscribed.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:00 PM
petejoe43
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I hear what y'all are putting down, but I still believe there should be a fix for this. Admittedly, mine is only noticeable if my ears are a foot or so away, but it's still THERE......my OCD is kicking in on this. I have a 30 year HD master tech a couple of miles away from me. I'm gonna swing by the shop on my way home tomorrow and pick his brain. Will follow up.......

Old 03-02-2017, 09:13 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I am running the 37s and I can hear the valve events. I like it.

The following users liked this post:
petejoe43 (03-02-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 08:59 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Typically it's not the butterfly valve itself, but "intake reversion".... sounds like someone in there tapping on a little wooden drum. The open AC lets the sound out that the stocker was covering up. The 57H cam is known for making the noise worse. (I run one too)

For a short time I ran a Ness Big Sucker open back AC, but couldn't take the noise & went back to stock.

It's one case where they really all do that.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters
This is the answer...

Old 07-30-2023, 09:33 PM
nobes
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by petejoe43
Own a 12 Ultra 103" with a recent Stage 2 install including 2.5" baffles, 2-1-2 Rush headers minus Cat, Andrews 57H cams, and an S&S stealth intake. The bike performs better than expected, and this noise is minor to the point that you have to get your head down to Rocker Box level to hear it. There is a definite "clack/clack/clack" coming from the butterfly valve behind the new air cleaner guide dbaovalve. I removed the cover/filter and lightly tapped on the valve with engine off. Sure enough, that is in fact the noise. This is one of the most quiet 103"'s I've ever heard overall, but the clack clack is on my nerves.

Has anyone with a Stage 2 experienced this? Like I said, it's not noticeable unless you get down close. However, the aluminum intake plate tapping against the aluminum throttle body housing is most definitely the problem. I say this because I'm sure many have experienced this who must have thought the noise was coming from pushrods/rockers. It's not, it's the butterfly valve on the throttle body. I know what you guys are thinking......dude you're whining, just live with it. And I'm prepared to live with it, I'm posting this primarily to see who's found a fix for this or attempted one? The first thing that comes to mind is a rubber/plastic gasket to wrap around the valve....that would do the trick. But as far as I know, no such fix exists. I'm not going to dwell on it.......I'm sure someone here has taken a stab at this.....surely
So lately, I found out that whenever i start my car, there will be a click sound coming off from the butterfly valve or some people call it the throttle valve. It only clicks for the first 15 or so seconds, but i don't know what does that mean... I did touch the tps recently but does that mean it's tps related?

The car is completely fine i suppose since it drives nice and idle fine.

Someone please help.

Old 07-30-2023, 09:50 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Is your car built by Harley-Davidson?

The following 2 users liked this post by QC:
kloccwork419 (07-31-2023), M Oclaf (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 10:47 AM
kloccwork419
Road Master
Received 370 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by nobes
So lately, I found out that whenever i start my car, there will be a click sound coming off from the butterfly valve or some people call it the throttle valve. It only clicks for the first 15 or so seconds, but i don't know what does that mean... I did touch the tps recently but does that mean it's tps related?

The car is completely fine i suppose since it drives nice and idle fine.

Someone please help.
Try a Ford or Chevy forum.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Intake Valve Noise