General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Slipping clutch diagnosis question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 05:53 PM
crockpot1
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Slipping clutch diagnosis question

I came across a suggestion on the forums to diagnose whether a clutch is slipping or not. It reads,

"Riding a steady speed in an upper gear, quickly pull in the clutch and pop it out while holding the gas steady. If the engine revs when you pull in and doesn't bog when you pop the lever out, your clutch is slipping."

What is the theory behind this? I tried this, going down the road in 5th gear on the throttle, steady speed, 60-70ish?, and pulled in the clutch while giving it steady throttle, the bike revved up, I popped the clutch out and got no lugging/bogging, just a loud clank from the plates/gears engaging.

The motor will obviously rev up if you pull the clutch in while still giving it throttle. I do not believe I have a slipping clutch however I did not bog down at the above direction.

Help appreciated, thanks

Old 04-23-2017, 09:04 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

While you're riding in the upper gears, up-shift from 4th to 5th and roll on the throttle hard just as soon as you get the bike into 5th. If the bike seems as if it's not going anywhere, the clutch is slipping.

The following users liked this post:
crockpot1 (05-18-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 09:22 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

When riding at a steady speed on a level road, disengaging the clutch will inevitably increase the engine speed. That is simply because the engine needs to provide a little power, to keep the bike rolling along and when removing that load the engine will speed up. So that bit of the quote tells us nothing unexpected!

When the clutch is re-engaged the engine, now running at a higher speed than when the clutch was disengaged, will speed the bike up a little, assuming the clutch is working as it should. The bit about bogging doesn't make sense to me and that is not a wise way to test a clutch IMHO. A clutch will slip when it can no longer hold the engine torque, such as when accelerating hard. The bike will accelerate as normal, then the clutch stop gripping, with the engine speed increasing wildly, but with no significant increase in road speed. It can be quite spectacular when it happens!

I recommend you don't pay attention to that sort of internet lore......

crockpot1 (05-18-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 02:19 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
When riding at a steady speed on a level road, disengaging the clutch will inevitably increase the engine speed. That is simply because the engine needs to provide a little power, to keep the bike rolling along and when removing that load the engine will speed up. So that bit of the quote tells us nothing unexpected!

When the clutch is re-engaged the engine, now running at a higher speed than when the clutch was disengaged, will speed the bike up a little, assuming the clutch is working as it should. The bit about bogging doesn't make sense to me and that is not a wise way to test a clutch IMHO. A clutch will slip when it can no longer hold the engine torque, such as when accelerating hard. The bike will accelerate as normal, then the clutch stop gripping, with the engine speed increasing wildly, but with no significant increase in road speed. It can be quite spectacular when it happens!

I recommend you don't pay attention to that sort of internet lore......
Just as I said but a little more eloquently!

crockpot1 (05-18-2017)