General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

FXDLS Rev Limiter Sounds Dumb/Silent

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 12:13 AM
Good Samaritan
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXDLS Rev Limiter Sounds Dumb/Silent

Im curious to know why the Low Rider S has a silent rev limiter?
Riding the Softail Breakout and XG750 sounds normal when bouncing the rev limiter
but the Dyna S is silent. Anybody know how to fix this to sound more like a harley? Increasing the rev limit didn't change the sound.

View this post on Instagram

Thanks in advance

Old 08-13-2017, 08:38 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,742 Likes on 3,509 Posts

Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your first post. Not sure I understand your question. What's a silent rev limiter??

Is that a video of you and your bike?

Last edited by roussfam; 08-13-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:26 AM
Good Samaritan
4th Gear

Originally Posted by roussfam
Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your first post. Not sure I understand your question. What's a silent rev limiter??

Is that a video of you and your bike?
Hey thanks for the warm welcome.

Hahaha no that is not my bike I would never do that to my bike.
However, that is how I would like my rev limiter to sound like. How do I do this to my 2016 Low Rider S?

When my bike hits the red line, it just doesn't make much sound. The needle doesnt bounce. It sounds really quiet and I don't like it.
I increased the rev limiter from stock 5500 to 6200 hoping it might change this but it did not.

So basically, you know how when you twist the throttle the rev limiter bounces? Well mine doesn't bounce. It just goes quiet.

I think I might need to change a setting somewhere to make my bike bounce off the red line.

I will post a video today of my rev limiter. You will hear the difference

Old 08-13-2017, 11:32 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

SMFH at the video, but good luck on your rev limiter sound.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:38 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Can't help you, don't know why you want to hit the rev limiter at all, but hey, it's your bike. If I didn't know any better I'd say with a question like that and a video like that, you're just trolling.... either way, things should get interesting...

I think I'll just get comfortable, sit back, and enjoy.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:58 PM
Good Samaritan
4th Gear

I figured out why the Low Rider S sounds really weird. It has flyby wire (electronic cable) so it gets send to the ECU for processing, unlike other Harleys which have a regular cable. No middle man when revving the throttle. Therefore, the new Low Rider S won't bounce, it stays flat line because of the ECU Middle Man. Thanks for all your help (sarcasm). Hope this post helps others.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:49 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

No problem, that's what I'm here for. Glad you figured it out. Still don't understand the need to hit the rev limiter but that's just me. The main thing is, ride safe...

Old 08-15-2017, 09:31 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Good Samaritan
I figured out why the Low Rider S sounds really weird. It has flyby wire (electronic cable) so it gets send to the ECU for processing, unlike other Harleys which have a regular cable. No middle man when revving the throttle. Therefore, the new Low Rider S won't bounce, it stays flat line because of the ECU Middle Man. Thanks for all your help (sarcasm). Hope this post helps others.

Good to know.. The touring bike have had FBW since 2008/9 .. I think you are right tho. The sound is a little different when you bump the limiter on a FBW bike.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:49 AM
AndreiTheGiant
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

When throttle-by-wire touring bikes hit redline, they close the throttle body instead of cutting spark. You can take the air cleaner off to see it directly.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:27 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,252 Likes on 3,626 Posts

Originally Posted by AndreiTheGiant
When throttle-by-wire touring bikes hit redline, they close the throttle body instead of cutting spark. You can take the air cleaner off to see it directly.
I'm not sure about spark but I know both cut fuel. The may want to keep the spark going just to burn anything. I agree about the blade closing. It's probably what gives the hard limiter a softer sound on the limiter bounce (as noted).

Cutting spark on carbed and mechanical fuel systems many times wasn't enough.. Many used to think that the motor could actually rev past the limiter by itself. Blown motors, when drive line snapped, were given as an example. From this they felt that a motor could accelerate past the limiter and limiters don't work. While the systems were primitive. The over reving was mainly because the limiter spark cut delay (many use a relay which has a delay time) or the motor would diesel past without spark (fuel not cut).

Limiters one EFI systems work really well since the device providing fuel is also the one cutting fuel when the revs are too high.

Quick Reply: FXDLS Rev Limiter Sounds Dumb/Silent