General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

What Jack to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 08:37 AM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,624 Likes on 1,530 Posts

I'm not going to recommend one brand over another, as that subject has been beaten to death here. However, I suggest you measure the ground clearance on your bike while it's on the jiffy stand. Then make sure the jack you are considering will fit under your bike. Also, if there are any future plans for lowering your bike, take that into consideration as well.

Last edited by barneyboy; 07-28-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:01 AM
Hurricane 68
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Have one of each

Added this also from harbor freight better set up
have the harbor freight lift table and Sears jack.Both my bikes not real heavy so work great for my stuff need to figure out use and weight The lift I have has advertised weight limit 1000#. So both mine are way under. Ride Safe. Wild Bill

Old 08-01-2018, 02:10 PM
bigpappa160
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I've got the Sears jack, but the only problem with the Sears jack is I can't get my oil pan under the drain plug when I drain the eng, primary or the transmission. May have to break down and get the harbor freight table lift. Getting to old to bend down and roll around on the floor changing oil or other maintenance stuff.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:14 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I have both the Harbor Freight jack and Lift table. Have had them for years and lifted hundreds of bikes (mostly baggers) over the years. The wheel chock that comes with the lift table sucks. But an easy fix. Lots of people will tell you "I wouldn't put my $30,000 bike on the cheap POS jack." I say "To each his own." I have had no issues what-so-ever in eleven plus years with either one of the HF jacks. Your wallet, your choice.

The following users liked this post:
Hurricane 68 (08-04-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 05:57 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

I just traded up from a Wideglide to an Ultra. I've been using a harbor freight lift table with my WG, worked great. Got a good wheel chock mounted on the table. I'd run the WG up and into the chock and the table scoots forward a bit. At 640 or so lbs I could handle it easily. But the Ultra is a good 300 lbs heavier and am afraid the table might be unstable doing that. But when pulling up on the table with the old bikes there was hardly a place to put my feet to hold the bike up on the way into the chock. The Ultra is wider with more stuff on the bike to make this even more difficult.

So am thinking about one of those J&S jacks. Can you do basic services like fluid changes on the J&S? What is the down side of a J&S?

Old 08-05-2018, 08:12 AM
m1369x
Road Warrior
Received 675 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by glideridemike
I just traded up from a Wideglide to an Ultra. I've been using a harbor freight lift table with my WG, worked great. Got a good wheel chock mounted on the table. I'd run the WG up and into the chock and the table scoots forward a bit. At 640 or so lbs I could handle it easily. But the Ultra is a good 300 lbs heavier and am afraid the table might be unstable doing that. But when pulling up on the table with the old bikes there was hardly a place to put my feet to hold the bike up on the way into the chock. The Ultra is wider with more stuff on the bike to make this even more difficult.

So am thinking about one of those J&S jacks. Can you do basic services like fluid changes on the J&S? What is the down side of a J&S?
Answer to question 1, yes.
2, price,
There's taller and cheaper. But mine's rock solid. Good investment. How ever, I found I'm doing more using my wheel chock.
When I finely move to Heaven I'll have a good lift table Too.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:12 PM
bbissell
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

I just got a J&S I picked it up used. Looks brand new and I am blown away at how good it works. Simple and very sturdy. Check craigslist for a used one you never know what you might find.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:22 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bbissell
I just got a J&S I picked it up used. Looks brand new and I am blown away at how good it works. Simple and very sturdy. Check craigslist for a used one you never know what you might find.
Might be easier finding a proper lift table so it seems.....lol

Old 08-06-2018, 10:39 AM
bbissell
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by glideridemike
Might be easier finding a proper lift table so it seems.....lol
I found one 6 hours away and the company i work for happens to have an office there. I was lucky enough to work out the seller bringing it there and leaving it till it could be picked up. It took a month to get it here but worth the hassle!

Old 08-09-2018, 05:34 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

well I'm looking.

Quick Reply: What Jack to buy?