General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Cruise Control Not Engaging

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 08:28 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 1,065 Posts
Default Cruise Control Not Engaging

Well - this is a new one for my dealer and me.

I have a 2021 Ultra - converted it to a trike. All was working and the TMPS showed low because the new rear wheels did not have TMPS.

OK, we added TPMS sensors to the rear wheels, dealer flashed the bike and now it shows as a trike. All of the TMPS systems work, plus all seems to be well.
Next, we added the CB radio and antenna, etc. With that, we had to add the lighter switch pack. Finally, we did the 5000 maintenance.

Picked the bike up today and everything seemed perfect. On the way home, I pushed in the cruise control just like I normally do. Yellow light came on. Pushed it down to engage - and nothing - no green light \\Right back to the dealer, he asked if the gear positions were working, I said yes. He said if they work, then cruise should work.

He took the bike for a ride - not working. We wondered if we had a bad left switch pack so he changed it to the original - nope, did not work. So, he checked the codes and said he say a code 39 - and had no record of that. Said he would check further tomorrow.

Road the bike home - all worked well. When I got home, I checked the codes and got C00077H which is low tire pressure. My info says the tire pressure if just fine and, I do not have a tire pressure warning light. Light comes on when I start but goes off when I roll.

So, I wanted ot ask if anyone else had experienced something like this?

Thanks

Old 10-24-2022, 11:44 PM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 864 Likes on 511 Posts

Most likely the clutch lever is not correctly contacting the clutch switch in the clutch mount. If the clutch switch is not in the proper position the bike thinks it's pulled in and won't engage cruise control. It's the same as if you were riding and pulled in the clutch the cruise will disengage.

Old 10-25-2022, 06:21 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by NODYNA
Most likely the clutch lever is not correctly contacting the clutch switch in the clutch mount. If the clutch switch is not in the proper position the bike thinks it's pulled in and won't engage cruise control. It's the same as if you were riding and pulled in the clutch the cruise will disengage.
I/we both thought such might have been the case since he took checked the clutch when doing the maintenance and also removed it when putting on the new switch packs.

So, he ran a diagnostic on this while I was there and, according to the tech, that would show just what was keeping the cruise from engaging. He said the front brake, rear brake, and clutch all checked out on his system.

When I was riding home, I made an effort to push the front brake out as much as possible, used my foot to pull the rear up and also pushed the clutch out - just to see if it engaged.

Thanks - we will keep at it

Old 10-25-2022, 07:39 AM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,633 Likes on 967 Posts

Put the trike in gear, pull in the clutch, can you start it? Yes = clutch switch good, No = clutch switch bad.
Front and Rear brake switches, try each individually, do they light the brake light? Yes = good brake switches, No = bad brake switch
Trike running, EITMS screen on the display, roll the throttle forward, does it turn off the EITMS? Yes, roll switch good, No = bad roll switch.

Any of the above can stop cruise from engaging.

Old 10-25-2022, 11:28 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by chopper_man
Put the trike in gear, pull in the clutch, can you start it? Yes = clutch switch good, No = clutch switch bad.
Front and Rear brake switches, try each individually, do they light the brake light? Yes = good brake switches, No = bad brake switch
Trike running, EITMS screen on the display, roll the throttle forward, does it turn off the EITMS? Yes, roll switch good, No = bad roll switch.

Any of the above can stop cruise from engaging.
Thanks - all of those are working OK.

Was at the dealership today for something else. Here is what they believe, changed the bike from 2 wheels to 3 wheels is possibly throwing the gear ratio off.

He will continue to experiment - and, I will take it back in on Saturday - he will change it back and see if the cruise works.

Old 10-26-2022, 11:42 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

I am headed back to the dealership on Friday - taking my bike back and hopefully we can determine what is wrong. Another guy that had the TPMS changes said there was no effect of his cruise - so, I have to agree with your guys - it has to be somewhere in either the clutch or brake switch.

When you hit both the front or rear brake, the lights come on. Perhaps it is not completely releasing so the bike things it is still engaged.

Old 10-26-2022, 02:38 PM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,633 Likes on 967 Posts

The brake switches are only a 2 wire canbus switch, can only be open or closed so I don't think it's that since the brake light goes on/off.

I'm guessing something with the speed sense since you lost or maybe just changed the rear wheel speed sensor with the trike kit. Maybe even something with RDRS or ABS, these thinks are so interlinked.

Can you lock up the rear wheel or does the ABS kick in?

You don't happen to have a FP3/4 tuner on it do you? That's been known to turn off cruise activation and needs to be reenabled in the settings.

Old 10-26-2022, 04:58 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by chopper_man
The brake switches are only a 2 wire canbus switch, can only be open or closed so I don't think it's that since the brake light goes on/off.

I'm guessing something with the speed sense since you lost or maybe just changed the rear wheel speed sensor with the trike kit. Maybe even something with RDRS or ABS, these thinks are so interlinked.

Can you lock up the rear wheel or does the ABS kick in?

You don't happen to have a FP3/4 tuner on it do you? That's been known to turn off cruise activation and needs to be reenabled in the settings.
You are very helpful Sir, thanks

No, I do not have a tuner. The bike was converted back in May 2022 - and all worked well.

I took it in to have the dealer add the TPMS to my rear wheels - and, then flash the bike to show that it is a trike. So, I don't think any sensors were changes.
At the same time, I had him do a 5000 mile maintenance check and also add a CB kit. The CB kit required that we change the switch packs. Maintenance required any needed adjustments.

With that in mind, I am sot of leaning to perhaps with the adjustments, something is not fully releasing and the bike things either the clutch or brake is partially engaged. I talked to a guy here, PFW, who also converted his trike - and his cruise is working fine - so, I don't think it is a gear ration issue.

Weather permitting, I am taking it back tomorrow - and will see what he finds out. For my type of riding, I really want the cruise to work

One thing I did notice (and he told me this). When the bike was two wheels, I could put the bike in gear, hit the switch and start it. Now that it is "recognized" as a trike, I havt to hold the brake to start it if in gear. Seems all trikes are like that.

Last edited by cycle7447; 10-26-2022 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-29-2022, 03:59 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Just read about a brake sensor recall for certain 2021 Harleys and trikes. Looked up my VIN and sure as heck, mine is listed.

Now my bet is this sensor is showing that my brakes are not completely closed. If such is the case, then, the cruise will not engage. My converted trike is already at the dealership - so, I called them today to let them know I was in that recall.

Old 11-21-2022, 03:20 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Dealer called - bike is ready. They also did the new bulleting recall about the brake sensor switch. Said they flashed the bike as a two-wheeler, did the recall and the cruise is now working.

So, I asked about the TPMS - bike shows the front TPMS at 37 and one rear tire at 26. Key here is before; I didn't have a TPMS on the rear, so I always had a low-pressure light. Now, that light is off, and all is working just fine.

He wanted to know if I wanted it redone to go back to three wheels - my response is no - my goal was to get rid of those low-pressure lights. Bike will be delivered to me next week. Looks like I am again a happy camper.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Not Engaging