General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Speedometer and odometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 12:13 AM
Briansdeluxe
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Speedometer and odometer not working

My 2005 softail deluxe stator went out. Before it went the check engine light came on and battery light as well. I kept riding and eventually the speedometer stuck at 62 and the odometer went out. Bike finally stopped running and battery fuse kept blowing. I had the stator replaced and bike is now running. However the speedometer is still stuck at 62 and odometer not working as well. HD says probably the speedometer needs replaced. All fuses are good and everything was great until the stator went. Blinkers work. Could this have somehow shorted the speedometer? This is the first major issue for this bike. It has almost 48,000 trouble free miles. Thanks, Brian

Old 08-15-2023, 07:22 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,340 Likes on 3,677 Posts

Generally, a bad stator won't kill the speedo without something else wrong. Now you shouldn't have a battery fuse but will have a circuit breaker. If it somehow was continuing to trip due to a short in the charging system, a voltage spike could kill kill the speedo.. There is an instruments fuse. Does your fuel gauge work? If so it is likely dead. If it don't check the fuse. You should be able to hold press the reset button and get mileage with the ignition off. Also you should be able to hold the reset button in while turning the ignition on and have the speedo go through a set of diagnostics.

I'm surprised HD did not replace the regulator also.

Besides dead speedo, you may want to have the cam chain tensioners checked with that mileage if you haven't already..

Old 08-15-2023, 10:32 PM
Briansdeluxe
1st Gear

Thanks for the info. The fuses in the fuse box are all good. The fuel gauge does work but the odometer doesn’t light up. I push the button for mileage but nothing is there. I asked them if they should replace the regulator and they said no. Another HD shop told me they would have. Do you think I should replace it? I did have the cam chain tensioner looked at 40,000 miles and said it looked good. Not sure why the Speedo isn’t working. It happened while riding the bike when the stator went bad on the freeway. Thanks for any help, Brian

Old 08-15-2023, 11:09 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,340 Likes on 3,677 Posts

Well the speedo is pretty much dead. I'd say a voltage spike in the system killed it. You were lucky, surges like that can take out the TSSM / ECU or ICM if you are carbed.

I'd replace the regulator.. Also I'd replace the circuit breaker and solder the terminals that connect to the circuit breaker. If there was a short to ground from the stator it had to go through the regulator to cause the circuit breaker to trip. That means the regulator saw some high current spikes.

Old 09-11-2023, 01:00 AM
Briansdeluxe
1st Gear

Well I haven’t replaced the speedometer yet but I have put about 700 problem free miles so far. I checked with my local HD shop and it’s about 400 bucks for a new one.