General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

92 FXR question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:04 AM
tinker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 FXR question

I'm going to post this question in a couple of different forums to see if I get an answer. Hope this isn't in violation of forum rules.

A friend of mine is looking to buy a 92 FXR from a friend. From what I've been told of the bike, I have some concerns but need more info. from someone here with more expertise.

The bike is a 1992 FXR. The person who currently owns it is the second owner. He bought the bike in 1995... and it had.. (I can hardly believe this) 200 miles on it. This guy put a whopping 400 miles on the bike since 1995.. (incredible I know), so the bike now has 600 original miles. So this is a 1992 bike with the original motor (etc) that isn't even broken in yet.

I've been told that the bike has been sitting under a tarp in this guys garage for the last 10 years.

My concerns:
1 Condensation in the engine, transmission, and driveline components.
2. I've heard of engine siezing issues where the rings corrode and attach to the cylinder wall... but these stories were from long ago and I don't know their validity.
3. Unknown state of the electronics.
4. Rubber hoses, belts, etc. are questionable.
5. Tires are probably rotted or cracked.
6. Internal fluids have probably degraded.
7. The fuel has hopefully been turned off, but there could be a problem of condensation / corrosion in the gas tank, and the carb + jets need to be cleaned.

I'd like to get the opinion of someone with more expertise than me on this. Any comments? Things I'm missing? Things that I'm worried about that aren't an issue?

Thanks in advance.
Tinker