General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Need Help !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:13 AM
HDSTORMDANCER
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help !!

Hi guys and gals, I am having a real hard time reinstalling my ignition switch on my 06 Ultra.
I have done it according to the manual to a tee. It wont lock down for some reason. I have it so the ignition **** is pointing to the fork lock position and I have the little button under the **** depressed and I have the key turned 60 degrees past the unlock position. When I insert it and turn the key I hear the clicking sound but the **** will not lock down and turn the ignition on. I talked with Harley mechanics and they want to see the bike because they are telling me that I am doing everything right. I am really frustrated at this point and I really have no way of getting the bike to a shop. If any of you have this problem please let me know what am I doing wrong. If you dont know can you ask someone on this forum who might be able to help. Thanks for all of your help in advance.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:10 AM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HDSTORMDANCER
Hi guys and gals, I am having a real hard time reinstalling my ignition switch on my 06 Ultra.
I have done it according to the manual to a tee. It wont lock down for some reason. I have it so the ignition **** is pointing to the fork lock position and I have the little button under the **** depressed and I have the key turned 60 degrees past the unlock position. When I insert it and turn the key I hear the clicking sound but the **** will not lock down and turn the ignition on. I talked with Harley mechanics and they want to see the bike because they are telling me that I am doing everything right. I am really frustrated at this point and I really have no way of getting the bike to a shop. If any of you have this problem please let me know what am I doing wrong. If you dont know can you ask someone on this forum who might be able to help. Thanks for all of your help in advance.
I don't have my manual handy but if I remember correctly, on my 05 EGC the **** should be pointed to ACC. position when you remove and replace it, not the fork lock position. I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong but by your description, is sounds like your inserting the **** in the wrong direction. Hope this helps.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:35 AM
HDSTORMDANCER
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Capt... but the manual for my bike tells me to use the fork lock position.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:51 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,060 Likes on 1,764 Posts

Read THIS thread. Also may have to readjust the tumblers with a screwdriver. I have the tool for that, but others just use a screwdriver.