General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

License plate relocation

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Nautilus
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up License plate relocation

I have a 1995 fatboy and love the looks with a solo seat but would be better if u could get rid of the license plate to have a smooth rear fender right? there's a cheap if not free way to do it.
U first remove the license and it's mount from the fender, pull it apart and u end up with a two piece mounting hardware. This is simple, all u need is a dremel tool and a cut-off wheel for steel. The smaller piece of the hardware has a base where 3 screws go and are attached to the fender, u gotta get rid of this part by cutting it off exxactly atthe curve. now u should have the upper part of the bracket with one hole at the top where another screw goes. With a hammer u have to flatten out the lower part from where u cut the extra material (flatten out because it is round to contour the fender) after doing that u just bend the piece to a 90º angle and ur done with that piece.
The second piece,the one where the license directly attaches has a straight metal piece at theupper part, watched from front, it makes like an inverted "T" u have to cut the "stick" ofthe "T" (the stick, where there's just one hole fora screw that held it to the first piece) u cut it as far in as possible and straighten with the hammer any curved surface. After having both pieces cut, u measure one on top of the other to drill a hole into them and be able to attach them together. The place to drill the hole in the first piece is the place u flattened out, and in the second piece,it's the flat part near the "stick" u just cut. After drilling and screwing both parts together (uses the same screws from the mounting hardware) u now have to unscrew the one of the nuts of the chrome belt guard (the upper one closes to the end of the bike, loacted near the swing arm) and screw the new mount on it through the hole left in the 90º in the first piece (u mayhave to drill a bit tomake it wider to fit the screw) and there u have it, a relocated mount to the left side ofthe bike with $0 invested... so far...
to cover the remaining holes in the fender, I bought a set of "skull license plate bolts" from H-D and they fit in nicely, u can do whatever u want in that part.

Hope u enjoy,I'll try to get pics as soon as possible,I have to simount it to paint it a little (optional)