General Topics/Tech Tips Discussion on break in periods, rider comfort, seats and pad suggestions. Tech tips as they become available will be posted here.

Burned up frame?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 10:54 AM
extremeshot
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Burned up frame?

Hello. Before you beat me up on this, I already know I probably made a mistake by buying this frame. Unfortunately sometimes I have to learn things the hard way.

With that said, I recently purchased a salvage frame. The location that I purchased the frame was in the back woods and I did not have access to the internet to do any online VIN searches.

Anyway, the story I got was that the bike was stolen and stripped and then recovered and sold in an auction by an insurance company. However, I later found out that the bike was actually in a fire....and sold in an auction by an insurance company. See pictures below.

Somewhere along the lines it appears a bike shop took the burned up bike and bead blasted and powder coated the frame...and possibly the front and rear fenders. However the info that I received said that the fenders came from other bikes.

So my question is, should I be concerned about the integrity of this frame? I'm wondering if the heat may have weakened the frame? Anyone have an experience with rebuilding bikes that have been burned up?

Thanks,
D

After Burned:

After blasted and powdercoated:

Old 11-18-2013, 11:12 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

aluminium melts at 1220. and the pri is melted.
u need to talk to metallurgist to see what that heat would do to the frame.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Agreed - Your primary is melted so the temper in the steel tubing may have changed. Seems the head fins are OK so the heat was momentary. Basically the heads drew the heat away like a big heat sink. The priimary is thin in the melted location with min thickness and couldnot take the short burst of high heat.

I would research the price of a new frame from Harley. Basically there is a minimum amount of downtubes and backbone that you cut from the original frame, send it back and they give you a new frame with the same VIN as was stamped on the returned neck.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:28 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,485 Likes on 1,543 Posts

that got pretty hot, i would talk to someone who builds race car frames and bike frames. what did the inside of the engine look like?