Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Crashed in Trailer!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:09 PM
TheLazyC
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crashed in Trailer!!!

So the other day when I took delivery on my 2014 Limited, our son got sick and couldn't go so I had to go by myself and couldn't find anyone to go with me, so I took my enclosed trailer to haul it back.

After all the paperwork was completed I drove the bike up in the tailer and put it on the kick stand. The salesman and shop guy insisted on strapping it in for me and I figured they had strapped down a lot more than I had (I had only trailered my old bike once)

They knew I was particular about not getting ANY scratches on it and I had gone in a purchased some strap extenders to be sure I did not get any scratches...

So after a couple head scratches, the shop guy goes to work and straps it in and is happy with his work. Shakes the bike and says if it moves now, your trailer has fallen apart...

I close up the back ramp and head home for my hour long journey home. When I arrive back at home, I now have an audience excited to see the new bike. I open the door and ...

...my heart stopped beating and I was speechless...he had strapped the front straps to the two front lights and it had snapped it right off.

I was extremely lucky that there was NO other damage. No scratches to anything. The bike did not hit the sides of the trailer and the engine guard and sadlebag guard protected the sides.

I immediately took photos and called the salesman who was also speechless and promised to do whatever it took to make it right.

Attached Thumbnails Crashed in Trailer!!!-bike1.jpg   Crashed in Trailer!!!-bike2.jpg  
Old 11-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Junkster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Goes to show ya if you want it done right do it yourself.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:54 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ouch. I do trailer the bike when I am going to be gone for a few days. I always tie the front straps to the down tubes near the brakes. The back is tied down using the bag brackets. Using a chock keeps it from sliding. Jim

Old 11-06-2013, 02:13 AM
Crex39
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I usually strap the handlebars. Never had a problem since.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:55 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Crex39
I usually strap the handlebars. Never had a problem since.
When I took delivery of my new at that time 06 Ultra the dealer got it from another dealer. They strapped it by the bars and bent the bars, bars are not meant to support an 800 lb bike. The dealer didn't catch the bent bars, I did while riding it home. I bent them back by hand while sitting at a traffic light, goes to show how strong bars are.

I put a strap on each side around the bottom tree and pull it into the chock with the straps at a slight angle. I then put a strap on each side either around the swing arm or frame tube at the rear also at an angle.

Handle bars, saddle bag guards and front engine guards are not meant to be used to strap a bike down, unless you want some bent parts.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:39 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

WOW..That sucks...Lesson learned and lucky it wasnt worse!!
Man that will be an image hard not to remember!!
Good Luck from this point on!! :-)

Old 11-06-2013, 07:16 AM
MikeDCop
Tourer

That salesman and shop guy would be replacing parts.

These are worth their weight in gold if you trailer: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-brackets#tabs

Küryakyn has something similar, but theirs doesn't fit the Ultra Limited yet.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:40 AM
TheLazyC
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MikeDCop
That salesman and shop guy would be replacing parts.

These are worth their weight in gold if you trailer: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-brackets#tabs

Küryakyn has something similar, but theirs doesn't fit the Ultra Limited yet.

Thanks for the tip, I am headed to the dealership this morning to replace the light. I will get them to install the tie downs when they put the new light on.

And they are fixing it, they have been really good about the whole incident. I am satisfied with the outcome. Stuff happens and their reaction is what counts.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:17 AM
screaminroadking
Road Master
Received 139 Likes on 64 Posts

Strapped to the passing lamp bracket's, are you kidding me? Wow what a moron.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:18 AM
MikeDCop
Tourer

Originally Posted by TheLazyC
Thanks for the tip, I am headed to the dealership this morning to replace the light. I will get them to install the tie downs when they put the new light on.

And they are fixing it, they have been really good about the whole incident. I am satisfied with the outcome. Stuff happens and their reaction is what counts.
Glad they are doing what's right.

Quick Reply: Crashed in Trailer!!!