Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Should I be using a tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 08:59 PM
RHD51
Road Captain
Received 444 Likes on 205 Posts
Default Should I be using a tuner?

Riding an 07 FLSTC Heritage Classic, 30 K mi., 96B motor is stock except for K&N RK 3909-1 high flow intake system and Xied, by Nightrider ( supposed to make fuel a little richer to overcome the lean EPA factory setting).
I feel like the bike runs fine and has all the power I need for my old man style of riding. So not looking for improved HP or performance.
I checked mileage today and got 175 Mi. on 4.65 gal. for approx. 38 MPG That seemed lower than normal but may have been due to traffic conditions.
Also I am 6' tall at 250 lbs. and I assume that could effect MPG compared to a smaller rider.
Would a tuner help enough with MPG to make it worth the cost?
Would a tuner be better for the motor overall, making it run better? cooler? last longer?

Old 08-06-2018, 01:41 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Which tuner did you have in mind? You're getting pretty good mileage right now, IMO.

Unless you get a tuner with auto-tune capability, you'll also be paying for t he cost of a dyno session (more likely than not). If you buy a tuner with auto-tune, you'll be spending a pretty penny on it, all to *maybe* get 1 or 2 MPG out of your motor. That would take a lot of riding to pay for the investment.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:58 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by RHD51
Riding an 07 FLSTC Heritage Classic, 30 K mi., 96B motor is stock except for K&N RK 3909-1 high flow intake system and Xied, by Nightrider ( supposed to make fuel a little richer to overcome the lean EPA factory setting).
I feel like the bike runs fine and has all the power I need for my old man style of riding. So not looking for improved HP or performance.
I checked mileage today and got 175 Mi. on 4.65 gal. for approx. 38 MPG That seemed lower than normal but may have been due to traffic conditions.
Also I am 6' tall at 250 lbs. and I assume that could effect MPG compared to a smaller rider.
Would a tuner help enough with MPG to make it worth the cost?
Would a tuner be better for the motor overall, making it run better? cooler? last longer?
As long as your exhaust is stock you don’t NEED to get it recalibrated for the production variables but it will run noticeably better after proper recalibration.
You can pay to have it recalibrated or you can learn to do most of the tune by yourself.
Everyone who has had their bike recalibrated for changes and/or production variables is sold on tuning.
Find someone who has had their bike tuned and you’ll find your answer as to whether it’s worth it or not.
Do not listen to advice from those who have not had their bike tuned.
Bob

Last edited by FLTRI17; 08-06-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:00 PM
RHD51
Road Captain
Received 444 Likes on 205 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. So 38 MPG isn't bad. I thought my manual said about 47 MPG. Must have been mistaken, looked up some real world averages and 38-40 is about right. apparently the newer bikes can get over 40 MPG. I was not actually that concerned about the mileage. More concerned about the motor and thinking the better and cooler it runs the longer it will last. I may decide to upgrade to performance pipes mainly because i have read that will also help the motor run cooler and more efficiently. Although I am not looking for a beast I wouldn't mind optimum performance and a throatier sound.
If I understand correctly' if I add pipes, with the high flow filter, at that time would need to add a tuner. From the limited knowledge I have gained so far the FP3 looks like a good option for a bike with minimal upgrades and no high performance motor upgrades it should be able to auto tune for good performance with out having to go to the dealer or a local tuning shop. Even if I don't add the pipes right now it seems the FP3 would make it run as good as it can with what I have.
Is my thinking on the right track? Also I assume I should remove the XIED if I add a tuner, Is that correct?
Any advice is appreciated.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:08 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

I have a stock XL1200C, I bought a Power Vision mostly for the tach/engine temp gauges.

After Auto tuning, my mileage went from a yearly average of 49 mpg in 2016 to 55 mpg so far in 2018.

Looking at the logs from my bike, most any time I am above 25-30% throttle the AFR is ~12.5- 13 to 1 so out the "EPA controlled" operation.