Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Mileage odometer ecm

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 08:45 PM
jim70
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mileage odometer ecm

Hi all,

What year did Harley start using ECM for odometer memory.
i know generally speaking the mileage was kept in memory inside Speedometer but understand that changed in recent years and wonder what year.,
My question for Dyna models but perhaps all models were changed a particular year?

thx

Old 02-16-2019, 10:39 PM
mgb1
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey jim70, I've been chasing the problem below for quite some time on my 2012 DYNA Switchback. What do you think? My thread is in the DYNA section.

Same old problem!!Hey DYNA riders. I am still searching for a problem with my 2012 DYNA Switchback A,B and Range trip meter indicators not reading accurate. I can reset both A and B readings to 0 and within minutes, they both go to a reading of 3812 (more or less) . Does the same thing whether the engine is running or not. I have left the battery disconnected for days and when reconnected, the meters do the same thing. The Range meter does something similar. The speedometer seems to be accurate when riding the bike. The bike cranks and runs good and I have cleaned all the ground connections that I can find and or course, rechecked the battery connections. There are no DTC codes. Bought the bike used and have put several thousand miles on it before this started happening.. I have also disconnected both the ECM and BCM connectors and cleaned the pins and the battery is relatively new but I did have it load tested and it came out good. I figure that either the speedometer, ECM or BCM might be bad. Checked the speed sensor also. Which do you guys think? The modules are about $300.00 each, so too pricey to just replace, and can the modules be swapped with another bike to test???Not sure about speedometer price. Do you guys have any SERIOUS suggestions? I've already heard plenty of BS suggestions about it but will probably get some more. Thanks

Old 02-20-2019, 02:02 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

ODO is stored in the speedometer and not in the ECM or BCM. Sounds like you have a speedometer issue. When you change out the speedometer there is a cable that connects to the data port on your bike to get the ODO info from the speedo and transfer it to the new one.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:46 PM
comanche250
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking at a 2017 Road king that shows fairly low mileage(2800). If I took the bike to a Harley dealer would they be able to confirm the mileage through the ECM? Just curious.