Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

'93 electraglide voltage problem??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 08:18 AM
Tbird
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '93 electraglide voltage problem??

Help!!! I have a 1993 electraglide classic and when I apply the rear brake the voltage will drop way down (approx to 8 to 10 volts) which causes my right turn signal to stop working. When I am stopped and I rev the engine up alittle to build the voltage back up then the right turn signal will start working again. Also when the turn signals (left or right) are on, the voltmeter will drop and rise along with the turn signal as it blinks. Has anyone ran across this before?
I called the dealer where I bought it from and the mechanic told me this was normal for the older Harleys. That just doesn't sound right to me!

Thanks,
Tbird

Old 08-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: '93 electraglide voltage problem??

Change the battery....this will fix all the problems.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Ultraclassic93
Stage I

I am also having the same problem on my '93 Ultra Classic. The voltage drops way down when either the front or rear brake is applied. If the turn signal is on (either right or left) and the brake is applied, the signal light cuts out. I have had a load check done on the battery, the battery is good. The voltmeter will drop and rise along with the turn signal as it blinks. My voltmeter reads 12V @ 2000 RPM. It should read 13.5 -14.0V. I have cleaned every electrical connector on this bike with no improvement.

This does not sound right to me either.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:26 PM
ddhill
Novice

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 1992 ultra classic and it the voltmeter will go down and the needle will fluctuate in sync with the blinker while it is on. My voltmeter also reads 12v@ 2000 rpmbut a meter on the battery shows it at 13v. My voltmeter(dash) will go down to about 11v with the spotlights on. I have been wondering about this as well.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:39 PM
jgcable
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

nobody seems to ever answer these questions. To revive this thread, my 1990 does the same thing. The voltmeter reads 14v when I first start it. It then drops down to about 12.5 at idle. If I apply the front brake it drops to about 10v. If I put the blinkers on it fluctuates between 8 and 11v. 1990 FLHTCU. Battery barely fluctuates voltage. I put a meter on it and if I apply the front brake or put on the spot lights the battery barely drops any voltage but the voltmeter takes a dive.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:20 AM
SBFMC707
3rd Gear

hate to say it but the "that's typical in older harleys" that didn't sound right at first seems a little more typical now that all of you are expressing the same problem.

i'm not an electrician (or a mechanic) but i know you have a battery, a stator, a rotor, and a voltage regulator in your system. if the battery checks out and you also checked/cleaned all of your connections i'd say your best bet is to start with the regulator. its the easiest and cheapest plan b and you can get yourself a shiney chrome one, winning.

my buddy has been experiencing random drops in voltage from 14 down to 8 on his 04 electra glide. there doesn't seem to be any catalyst for the issue like applying the brake seems to be in these cases. i will let you know how his works out, keep me posted on how yours goes too! good luck.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:38 AM
springers
Stage I

I have the same problem on a 90 ultra classic. Only thing different for me is that after an hour of riding in 100 degrees my volt meter will go straight to 16 and stay there till bike is parked overnight. when it is restarted it will show 13.5 and fluctuate with brakes applied and signals on. Any thought? Thanks

Old 07-14-2013, 03:36 AM
ALR Wolf
6th Gear
Default Gonna try to get this restarted...

Same thing on my 1995 FLHTC. Anyone have a workable solution to this?

Old 07-14-2013, 10:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Before you do anything or spend any money go to the Evo section and read the sticky by Dr Hess on charging problems. He gives an excellent guide to finding what is wrong.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:44 AM
hawk61
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Voltage gauge

Just rewire to constant live and other to good earth that will solve voltage going down when you apply brakes and we show correct voltage

Quick Reply: '93 electraglide voltage problem??