Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

1991 FLHTC turn signal gremlin!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 07:10 PM
wallybally
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 FLHTC turn signal gremlin!

Hey Everyone:
Turn signals both work but not at idle. Also they will not work on access positionon ign switch while not running. Accelerate to speed while on road they both work fine.
1. Battery is good by draw test.
2. Reg is grounded well.
3. Stator is not ground and delivers 14.14.5 V to the battery when running at 2000.
4. Bulbs are good with greased sockets.
5. I even changed underwear AND socks!!
Is it possible the TSM is not working? I mean it works when at speed so? Its like there is a low amp problem maybe. I dont have an AC ampmeter to check the stator output but sure as chit the turnsignals are fine when at speed.
WallyBally

Old 04-27-2008, 07:21 PM
recross
Tourer
Default RE: 1991 FLHTC turn signal gremlin!

sounds like you've checked it out pretty thoroughly...so will not work until rpms/higher electrical output.....soooooooo many the signal relay is getting weak..just a thought...due to the year of the bike...I have a '94 and different stuff will show up due to age, wear, and etc........BC

Old 04-27-2008, 08:09 PM
wallybally
Intermediate

Hey Recross:
Signal relay? Is that part of the Turn Signal Module or? I just got the bike in Nov 07. It just started thislast week.
WallyBally

Old 04-28-2008, 02:42 PM
macdon
Stage II

I'm having a similar problem with my 1993 Fatboy (factory lights)

Blinkers don't work, bulbs are fine. (save the blinker fluid jokes)
If I turn switch toacces: signals work.
If I turn switch to lights, ignition, or bike running: no blinkers.
If I hold down the signal button when blinkers aren't working, I can hear a faint ticking from the ignition switch area (timer?)

If I remove a front bulb and press the signal button the back blinker lights up but no flash.

Its snowing up here today in Wisconsin and I can't ride, but I'd like to fix this before winter's over.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 04-29-2008, 09:03 PM
wallybally
Intermediate

I went through the whole enchilada according to the instructions in a Clymer manual. Everything was fine....except this. Manual said to check wires from swith at the turn signal cancel switch which is also discribed as the Turn Signal Module. Clear as mud yet? Anyways..Its the white/brown or white/green wire coming in from the turn signal switches. You should get 12v when you press the turn signal switch on either of those wires respectively. If you do get 12vthen buy a new turn signal cancellor as the module is probably bad. If not 12v then check switches for damage or a bad ground on the module itself. Mine had 12 volts going to the module from the switches but no turnsignals excpet at speed. The module is also controlled by the speedo it says. I bought themodule from Surydyke at 53 bucks. MSRP is 73.00.
Ride on!
WallyBally

Old 04-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Tbird
Novice

Mine has a kinda similar problem (93 Electraglide). If my voltage drops alittle bit then the right turn signal will not work (left one will work fine). If I rev the engine alittle bit to bring the voltage back up then the right turn signal will start working again. Weird....I just learned to live with it.